Bamboo growing on Mars?

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Bamboo growing on Mars?

Post by Iowaboo »

There, I have your attention. Here's an article that is worth interest.

http://www.voanews.com/english/2006-08-29-voa51.cfm

Hopefully, someday, in the future, when I'm younger rather than older, when time will stand still, I hope to have some groves of bamboo doing something for the human race; such as protecting us against the random and fearful vibrations of life......................................
CadyG
Location info: 0
Zone 6b

Like Kyuzo (pictured above) in "The Seven Samurai," I've "...Killed (more than) two..." bamboos.

RE: Bamboo growing on Mars?

Post by CadyG »

When the human population peaks at 11 billion, it will finally decline precipitously (due, unfortunately, to mass starvation, disease, violence) and the forests will grow over our abandoned civilizations... :twisted:

But in the meantime, 'boo seems like a fine alternative to the clear-cut timber industry and poaching in Third World countries.

NPR had a segment, a couple weeks ago, about bamboo in China. The gist was that bamboo is now so in demand by wealthy countries -- for flooring -- that local Chinese can no longer afford to use bamboo for everyday things as they have for thousands of years. So, in China, they cut down and export 'boo, and make their own chopsticks, furniture, tools and other stuff out of plastic. :?
Cady G.
"Killed two..." -- Seiji Miyaguchi/Kyuzo
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Re: Bamboo growing on Mars?

Post by Roy »

lkz5ia wrote:There, I have your attention. Here's an article that is worth interest.

http://www.voanews.com/english/2006-08-29-voa51.cfm

Hopefully, someday, in the future, when I'm younger rather than older, when time will stand still, I hope to have some groves of bamboo doing something for the human race; such as protecting us against the random and fearful vibrations of life......................................
That was a good article. You didn't need to get my attention.

:wav:
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
mantis
Location info: 22

Post by mantis »

Very good article. Another item on the list of ways to save the planet. :)
Jeff: Igor's Apprentice

Post by Jeff: Igor's Apprentice »

NPR had a segment, a couple weeks ago, about bamboo in China. The gist was that bamboo is now so in demand by wealthy countries -- for flooring -- that local Chinese can no longer afford to use bamboo for everyday things as they have for thousands of years. So, in China, they cut down and export 'boo, and make their own chopsticks, furniture, tools and other stuff out of plastic.
Oh, now THAT'S super depressing!!!!!
Soon the rural Chinese won't know anything except old recipe McNuggets and will be storing up their Styrofoam Big Mac containers to reshingle their roofs. That is until a new American restaurant chain with a name like "China Garden" sweeps thru and turns EVERYTHING on its ear, introducing them to the concept of cooking with MSG and the all you can eat buffet.

I've been working on a song, but now I'll have start over....
It was gonna go:
I believe the Chinese are our future,
teach them well and let them lead the way.....

that's as far as I got.
BooKing

Post by BooKing »

"The Chinese are our future". :?: Hoe, don't quit your day job... :lol: