What Fungi Grows in Your Groves?

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

RE: What Fungi Grows in Your Groves?

Post by foxd »

Recently I've seen these large brown to black mushroom shaped fungi that dry to a black color. They release a big cloud of spores when hit with the lawnmower. I've also seen this weird bright orange/red tube shaped fungus that seems to show up in the same spot every year. No idea what it is.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Jeff: Igor's Apprentice
Location info: 0

Post by Jeff: Igor's Apprentice »

http://www.tfri.res.in/Research%20highlights.htm...
Application of VAM in combination with Azotobacter and Azospirillum facilitated growth of teak and bamboo significantly.
http://www.newcrops.uq.edu.au/listing/d ... rictus.htm...
Nema, S., B. Behari, et al. (1998). Effect of VAM on growth and development of bamboos planted under agroforestry system. Indian Forester 124(7): 516-523. Tropical Forest Res. Inst., Jabalpur, India
Maitra, A. and S. P. Gautam (1994). Ecological studies of vesicular arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi (VAMF) associated with Dendrocalamus strictus in the central Madhya Pradesh. Journal of Phytological Research 7(1): 29-31. Dep. Bio-Sci., R.D. Univ., Jabalpur, MP 482 001, India
http://www.ceps.com.tw/ec/ecjnlarticleV ... nliid=1317
In the bamboo forest, 34 species belonging to 21 families of ground covers including bamboo (Phyllostachys pubescens) were investigated, and 28 were found to be VA mycorrhizous. Among 21 families as mentioned above, Urticaceae and Polygonaceae have been thought as uneasily forming VAM. But in this investigation, one species of Urticaceae, Gonostegia hirta and two species of Polygonaceae, Polygonum hydropiper, and P. thunbergii seems to be heavily infected by VA mycorrhizal fungi, Among the rhizosphere of ground covers in bamboo forest 14 species of VAM fungi were recovered including five new recorded species from Taiwan and two new species. P. pubescens was found to non-VA mycorrhizous and infected by septate mycelia with perpendicular branches, probably by a species of Form-genus Rhizoctonia.
To clarify about the Moso- VAM is the preferred term to describe endomycorrhizae- fungi that penetrates the interior root cells of your boo. Ectomycorrhizal fungi forms a sheath around the planrs roots or rhizomes. Both are beneficial. The ecto extends the plants absorption zone. In Mycellium Running, Stamets "postulates that the surface area- hence its absorption capability- of mycorrhizal fungi may be 10 to 100 times greater than the surface area of leaves in a forest."
Have you been able to find anything else on the vascular arbuscular mycorrhiza Fungi Perfecti.
That's about it for now, Nate. Stamets mailorder business, Fungi Perfecti, sells products with both types. http://www.fungi.com/mycogrow/index.html

Can't overstate how interesting this book is. It goes from the philosophical- comparing the structure of mycelium to the structure of the cosmos and alluding to the sentience of fungi, to the ecological- as in its benefit to the forest and another great experiment in which Stamets fed engineered Cordyceps mycelium (see above) to termites in his house, thus killing them, to the very practical- as in how to grow mycelium on everything from cardboard, burlap, furniture dowels and much, much more.
Jeff: Igor's Apprentice

Post by Jeff: Igor's Apprentice »

Another mushroom known to cavort with bamboo is Psilocybe fasciata, "the bamboo psilocybe".

:tongue8: Mushrooms are yummy.
CJW
in a solid Z9 location.

Re: RE: What Fungi Grows in Your Groves?

Post by CJW »

hoe_NC wrote:Another mushroom known to cavort with bamboo is Psilocybe fasciata, "the bamboo psilocybe".

:tongue8: Mushrooms are yummy.
Trippy :color: .. I have seen Psilocybe in my bamboo grove too.. They're pretty common here.
bambuda

Post by bambuda »

Hey there-- hope this is not too late to add to your enthusiasm for fungi. According to some scientists (Stamets reports) the human genome has 30% in common with fungi....much more in common than with plants.

And further, that most organisms are actually composites of the host species with fungi, bacteria. Supposedly we ourselves are comprised of

Participating with several bamboo quarantine facilities it appears to me that bamboo have other organisms living inside them. This seems to be evident especially in tissue culture. It is difficult to get a clean plant.

Perhaps we cultivate bamboo optimally by also feeding their fungal flora.
Some claim that soil flora of bamboo is bacterial-based, but there seems to be a good colonization of mushroom species wherever I have bamboo, and especially when it is growing well. Not knowing, though, whether those species showing up are actually mycorhizal.

As for the Dictyophora, i found a picture from Auckland, New Zealand, where pieces of bamboo were buried in the ground. It was on the web, but now can't seem to find it. Was in a book, and i will try to scan it.
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Re: What Fungi Grows in Your Groves?

Post by stevelau1911 »

One thing I've found in using lots of chicken manure which has wood chip bedding is that it will continually produce all kinds of mushroom. I just haven't seen any reishi ones yet which seem to only occupy the tree roots that I inoculated a few years ago.

They seem to activate right after a rain, and then go back to sleep, but I'm surprised that multiple species of mushrooms can come from the same area without one dominating the rest.

This one just finished fruiting.

The sticky stuff here is mycelium, and mushrooms should sprout from this spot in a few weeks.
danjcla

Re: RE: What Fungi Grows in Your Groves?

Post by danjcla »

Jeff: Igor's Apprentice wrote:That's about it for now, Nate. Stamets mailorder business, Fungi Perfecti, sells products with both types. http://www.fungi.com/mycogrow/index.html
Understandably given time elapsed, that link seems to be dead now.

For planting a new 1-3 gallon plant from a nursery, as a soil amendment, would MycoGrow™ Soluble--1 oz - http://www.fungi.com/product-detail/pro ... -1-oz.html - be the right product?