phyllostachys aureosulcata 'Lama Temple?'

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

wufeng
Location info: 0
Location: My plants grows in Prague and another 3 places in The Czech republic, zone 6.

RE: phyllostachys aureosulcata 'Lama Temple?'

Post by wufeng »

I have new informations about Lama Temle clones. There are 4 in Europe. Phyllostachys aureosulcata Lama Tempel, Phyllostachys aureosulcata aureocaulis Lama Tempel, Phyllostachys aureosulcata spectabilis Lama Tempel 1, Phyllostachys aureosulcata spectabilis Lama Tempel 2. All from Tanzhesi temple, north from Beijing. Imported by Mr. Kern in 1987. Paul Whittaker described in his book only one clone - Phyllostachys aureosulcata aureocaulis Lama Tempel. This clone is mutation from Phyllostachys aureosulcata spectabilis Lama Tempel (1992, Germany).
I am engaged in pages about hardy bamboos in Czech language - http://bambusy.info/.
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by bambooweb »

I just got some late donations for the auction. Check back tomorrow for the auction. Here is a preview.

Phyllostachys aureosulcata 'Lama Temple', 5 gal, 5' tall, minimum bid = $40
Description: Runner, Max Hgt = 26', Max Diam = 1.25", Min Temp = -10, Sun 3-5
"A bright yellow cultivar of Phyllostachys aureosulcata with occasional thin, vertical, green stripes around the cane and no sulcus stripe."

Bill
bamboozal

Post by bamboozal »

I'm not sure which clones I've got but if the plant labels are to be believed, I have a Ph. aureosulcata aureocaulis and the Lama Temple.
The plants are side by side in the hedge; planted in May this year, and receive full sun.

My Lama Temple is a small 50 cm tall plant while the aureocaulis is 2m tall.

I haven't been able to see significant differences in the two apart from:

1) The older aureocaulis culms are entirely yellow as one would expect of it while I have no older culms on the Lama temple to make any sort of menaingful comparison.
2) The variegation on the leaves of the aureosulcata (:shock: I've never read of variegation on aureosulcata) appear to be more plentiful (density) than the Lama Temple. Of course, it could be that the aureosulcata just has more leaves.

Here are some pics.

Ph. aureosulcata auerocaulis

Ph. aureosulcata Lama Temple
mito0
zone 6
sub-zero winters
100+ degree summers
alkaline soil
very windy

Post by mito0 »

thanks for the photos, bamboozal.
strange, your aureocaulis isn't any more yellow than my bissetii. in fact, aside from the variegation, they look identical. several green-culmed bamboo turn yellow around here due to our intense sunlight. s. fastuosa does the same thing, although even more so. i'm excited to think what an auriocaulis would look like! the red blush on that lama temple looks spectacular! do your regular aureocaulis look that brilliant when they're young?
bamboozal

Re: RE: phyllostachys aureosulcata 'Lama Temple?'

Post by bamboozal »

mito0 wrote:thanks for the photos, bamboozal.
strange, your aureocaulis isn't any more yellow than my bissetii. in fact, aside from the variegation, they look identical. several green-culmed bamboo turn yellow around here due to our intense sunlight. s. fastuosa does the same thing, although even more so. i'm excited to think what an auriocaulis would look like! the red blush on that lama temple looks spectacular! do your regular aureocaulis look that brilliant when they're young?
Anytime, mito0.
The aureocaulis does occasionally exhibit the reddish tinge with new culms/branches but upon closer inspection this morning, I'd say the young culms on the Lama Temple demonstrates a deeper red, much like a Fargesia Jiuzhaigou. An older culm on the Lama Temple has begun to yellow. In a few years, I'm sure they'll dissolve into each other and all I'll be left will be some green phyllostachys with yellow-reddish culms and vareigation! :lol:

I've got bisseti(s) on the other side of the aureocaulis and the older culms have turned yellow with the sun but the aureocaulis has more intense yellows.