Puzzled About I. tesselatus Playing Dead

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

CadyG
Location info: 0
Zone 6b

Like Kyuzo (pictured above) in "The Seven Samurai," I've "...Killed (more than) two..." bamboos.

Puzzled About I. tesselatus Playing Dead

Post by CadyG »

A while back, there was a discussion that brought up the concept of bamboo species dying back to a weakened, diminuative form in a way that mimicked the effects of flowering (on species that weaken, but don't always die as a result of flowering).

I have an Indocalamus tessalatus that flourished in the garden for at least 7 years before suddenly dying back to a few weeny, pale tufts. Brad suggested that, perhaps, it was taking a cue from its flowering cousins -- I. tessalatus is, apparently, flowering here and there around the continent.

Gotta say, my tess' is acting just like what I'd expect a post-flowering/seeding 'boo of that type to do. But there was absolutely no sign or indication of flowering. Not single inflorescence. Nary a seed.

Which makes me wonder: When a 'boo flowers, is it really the energy expended in blooming and setting seed that kills the plant, or is there a "Distructo Gene" that simply says, "It's time to die," whether the 'boo sets seed or not? The fact that some bamboos recover after seeding would belie the Distructo Gene idea. But it appears there may be more to the death of a mature bamboo organism than the act of flowering and making seed in itself.
Cady G.
"Killed two..." -- Seiji Miyaguchi/Kyuzo
CJW
in a solid Z9 location.

Re: Puzzled About I. tesselatus Playing Dead

Post by CJW »

cadyg wrote:A while back, there was a discussion that brought up the concept of bamboo species dying back to a weakened, diminuative form in a way that mimicked the effects of flowering (on species that weaken, but don't always die as a result of flowering).

I have an Indocalamus tessalatus that flourished in the garden for at least 7 years before suddenly dying back to a few weeny, pale tufts. Brad suggested that, perhaps, it was taking a cue from its flowering cousins -- I. tessalatus is, apparently, flowering here and there around the continent.

Gotta say, my tess' is acting just like what I'd expect a post-flowering/seeding 'boo of that type to do. But there was absolutely no sign or indication of flowering. Not single inflorescence. Nary a seed.

Which makes me wonder: When a 'boo flowers, is it really the energy expended in blooming and setting seed that kills the plant, or is there a "Distructo Gene" that simply says, "It's time to die," whether the 'boo sets seed or not? The fact that some bamboos recover after seeding would belie the Distructo Gene idea. But it appears there may be more to the death of a mature bamboo organism than the act of flowering and making seed in itself.

From what I know about bamboo flowering, it is simply the act of flowering itsself that causes the bamboo to die. the bamboo expends so much energy from it's reserves that it can nolonger survive. however there are cases which a well fed bamboo can/and have survived the flowering process. I am not sure that all bamboos can do this.
BooKing

RE: Puzzled About I. tesselatus Playing Dead

Post by BooKing »

"From What I know"...- is very little info regarding flowering. :lol:
CJW
in a solid Z9 location.

Re: RE: Puzzled About I. tesselatus Playing Dead

Post by CJW »

BooKing wrote:"From What I know"...- is very little info regarding flowering. :lol:
hey, you are flaming .. I'd stop it if I were you.
CadyG
Zone 6b

Like Kyuzo (pictured above) in "The Seven Samurai," I've "...Killed (more than) two..." bamboos.

Post by CadyG »

CJ,
The very issue is precisely that -- that the current popular hypothesis is that the energy put out by the plant to flower and set seed simply exhausts the plant and causes its death. What has me curious, is that a number of bamboos -- such as my I. tesselatus -- have undergone almost complete die-back for no apparent reason, after years of doing fine. Brad posited that maybe, maybe - since I. tesselatus sporadically flowers, and many are doing so now - mine, though it didn't actually flowered, is demonstrating signs of having flowered.

This led to my wondering whether, if that were true, why a plant would die back without having expended any flowering and seeding energy whatsoever.

Of course, Brad's posit might be completely wrong. :wink: But it is plausible enough to have made me start wondering about the nature of the timing and cycle of life, growth, flowering, setting seed and dying in bamboo.
Cady G.
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

A few days ago an out of town friend was telling me about some bamboo he'd planted many years ago that has done the same thing. Started spreading well, than died back and has just hung on ever since.

I wonder if there isn't something that likes to snack on the root system. I could see where some insect pest might invade the bamboo and multiply until almost all the root system is eaten, then they starve until just a few are left. Then the cycle repeats. A chronic infestation as it were.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Thuja
1951: -37*F;
1996: -29*F;
2005: -10*F;
2006: -17*F;
2007: -17*F.

Post by Thuja »

It's fun to wonder about such mysteries. I'd vote for the biological clock theory (if we were having a contest for the right answer). We'd all like to cheat death but eventually it catches up with us all.
--Mike
BooKing

Post by BooKing »

"Flaming" ??? Is that a Canadian term? ooh, I am shaking in my combat boots :lol: I know Roy uses the flame technique for some of his bamboos to set seed. :idea:

Cady, I have a Fargesia dracocephala that has been doing the same thing
as your Indocalamus for about 5years. I am still hoping it does "something".
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Post by Roy »

BooKing wrote:"Flaming" ??? Is that a Canadian term? ooh, I am shaking in my combat boots :lol: I know Roy uses the flame technique for some of his bamboos to set seed. :idea:

Cady, I have a Fargesia dracocephala that has been doing the same thing
as your Indocalamus for about 5years. I am still hoping it does "something".
Now that you have mentioned my name, I have a question. I have never heard the phrase about the grandmother and sucking eggs. I've been scratching my head trying to figure it out. I grew up in the South (USA), and I have a lot of "sayings", but never heard grandmother and sucking eggs? :?:
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
needmore

Post by needmore »

Roy wrote: Now that you have mentioned my name, I have a question. I have never heard the phrase about the grandmother and sucking eggs. I've been scratching my head trying to figure it out. I grew up in the South (USA), and I have a lot of "sayings", but never heard grandmother and sucking eggs? :?:
Thanx Roy, not a familiar term in Hoosier country either.

Cady, I was actually kidding about the Tess having sympathy flowering pains
but it makes for an interesting ponder...

I suspect that you would have noticed flowers had it actually done so? I could easily have a few culms flower and not be noticed. When an established bamboo begins to suffer I always prefer blaming voles in the absence of any other obvious factors.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
CadyG
Zone 6b

Post by CadyG »

Brad,
Guess I took your comment literally because, it did make sense on some levels. :)

I think I would have noticed any flowering in my stand of I. tesselatus, which was in a spot about 6'X10' (I posted a link to the planting, in its prime, back in the thread that brought up the topic). And even if it did and I didn't see it, there would have been little energy taken from the plant for such a small, unnoticeable flowering.

FoxD, while it's possible that something could have been munching on the 'boo roots and rhizomes, I would be surprised. There are several other species of 'boo planted nearby (though not interspersed with the I. tesselatus or touching it) in the same bed, including Sasa veitchii and a pleioblastus species, and I'd guess that they would be fair game too.

There are now three or four species of 'boo in that area, and they are all doing great while the I. tesselatus hangs on, greatly diminished. It's baffling.
Cady G.
rfgpitt
Location info: 24

Post by rfgpitt »

Have you ever had any other plants die? Maybe it's sick?

Cady,
You might want to try taking a few small divisions and washing all the soil (& bugs) off before re-potting in new soil. ...just a thought if you haven't already done so.

Interesting thought nonetheless.
Rick
BooKing

Post by BooKing »

We'll let Steve explain the Grandma sucking eggs one. :roll:
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1

Post by bambooweb »

I have some plants that are not doing as well as ones planted later but they are the ones stressed by -24*F. For example I have a Ph. vivax that was planted in the spring of 2003 that is still under two feet tall. :( The Ph. vivax 'Aureocaulis' that I planted the following year is 6 feet tall and bushing out nicely.

Bill
CadyG
Zone 6b

Post by CadyG »

Rick,
Last year I dug up some of the area and found a lot of dead rhizomes, but they didn't look diseased or chewed. No fungal colonies either. Just dead.

Your suggestion to pot up some of the remaining plant is a good one, and I shall do it. My first inclination is to feed it some chelated iron to see whether it affects the chlorotic appearance of the leaves. But none of the other bamboos around it are showing any chlorosis, so I have to imagine that it's due to another cause.
Cady G.