Fargesia nitida flowering pic !

how to take close-ups and what parts of the plants to get photos of for ID.

Moderators: David, Iowaboo, Thuja

Markj
Location info: 0

Fargesia nitida flowering pic !

Post by Markj »

If only someone could of told me 12 years ago this was going to flower :evil:

I've two almost mature clumps here- both around 12/15 feet tall and 6 foot round- both looked fine 6 months ago- they then hit the full flower mode and are now almost leafless.

Gutted :evil:
Bamboo...Please note... This plant is seriously addictive and you may lose interest in other, less rewarding plants!
Mike McG
Location info: 71

RE: Fargesia nitida flowering pic !

Post by Mike McG »

Markj wrote:...I've two almost mature clumps here- both around 12/15 feet tall and 6 foot round...
Hi Mark,
"Almost mature", I would though these were mature. :shock: I haven't tried to grow any Fargesias here but I am reasonably sure they would never get that big even if they did survive, which is highly unlikely.

I am sure you are upset now but it looks like you will have lots of opportunities for new little F. nitida that should last longer than 12 years. Maybe you will get something unique. Good luck.

Mike near Brenham TX
ocimum_nate
Location: American Fork, Utah High Desert, elevation 4566 feet, zone 5 or 6 depending on which source.

Post by ocimum_nate »

I too would be looking forward to the many opportunities of new generation seedlings.
Markj

Post by Markj »

Yep- almost mature!

This can get pretty big here, some of the older plantings were pretty big 40~50 foot from leaf to leaf, but then they are 80/100 years old. They made a wonderfull sight.

Never did get a good pic before flowering- the last good one was posted on ukosasis- I think this was snapped 2004.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Bamboo...Please note... This plant is seriously addictive and you may lose interest in other, less rewarding plants!
Bamboo Conne'isseur

Post by Bamboo Conne'isseur »

Just an idea Mark...
I remember reading before on things you can do to try to put it back into the veggie stage for monocarpic plants, to prevent death. One would imply using a fert. specifically for the veg. cycle. This might be one of the only times I might consider using a chemical fert, and a strong one at that, as it will be immediate. Second, some super thrive might help, as I have heard that this aids in the veggie cycle, and have heard from others that it actually hurts the flowering cycle of plants. I don't know if it will work, but it can't hurt to try.....
Aaron
Gunnar_GG

Post by Gunnar_GG »

Wanting to know all about which of the seven to nine forms of F. nitida have flowered, and which have not, yet, should my posting be to the BmBu Identification Forum?
Tree Grasses for Woodland Gardens
Markj

Post by Markj »

Bamboo Conne'isseur, yep why not, I've two plants like this both planted at the same time and both hit the full flower mode, they look exactly the same right now. I'm going to have a go to try and save one with various methods and leave the other to nature.

Got nothing to lose really, but it'll be interesting to see if it can hang on any longer.

All the old forms from the original seed must surely now be suspect, some of the forms have already been reported as flowering to the UK 'boo society.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

I noticed today that one of my Nitida has also started to flower finally, there are a few more that haven't yet...
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Markj

Post by Markj »

The anthers are just starting to drop now, nice bright green colour, contrasts quite nice with the dark plant, can't get a good pic though.

Best shot:

It's easy doing a close up pic, anyone ant tips on getting the whole plant to look good-it's beyond me :evil:
needmore

Post by needmore »

I had a returning visitor and their friend, who is new to bamboo visiting today so I showed them the flowering F. nitida. A couple of minutes later the new friend said, "This one looks like it is flowering too." This one being a runt, stick of an F. murielae, had me convinced that they were wrong but by golly, the F. murielae stick has 2 small flowers as well. I guess it must be an old generation, I've had it 3-4 years and did not ask if it was a seedling back when I obtained it, so I presently have 2 different Fargesia forms in flower and I may try to cross them if the chance arises. The Nitida is slightly farther along and I leave Tuesday so I may not get it done if the Murielae does not have viable flowers in the next couple of days.
foxd
Location info: 21

Post by foxd »

Brad, mind if I stop out this weekend to see the F. nitida in flower?
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
needmore

Re: RE: Fargesia nitida flowering pic !

Post by needmore »

foxd wrote:Brad, mind if I stop out this weekend to see the F. nitida in flower?
Dan, I have a tentative appointment on Saturday early afternoon, they've already cancelled once so its iffy, but Sat may be a rain day? I have 2 appointments on Sunday so I'll likely be distracted a good portion of the afternoon, but you are pretty self-sufficient so I'm sure I can point you toward the Nitida/Murielae flowers. I wouldn't mind trying to collect/store some Nitida pollen if its ready and the Murielae isn't...let me know and watch your step - I keep stepping on shoots. Yesterday I stepped on a Propinqua shoot that was at least 10 feet away from last years culms, and found a cluster of them out there.
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Re: Fargesia nitida flowering pic !

Post by johnw »

Must have missed these culms when the grove packed it in around 2011 ................ Indian Harbout,, Nova Scotia. Main flowering was in 2010.
Attachments
Fargesia nitida DSCF7839.JPG
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
pokenei

Re: Fargesia nitida flowering pic !

Post by pokenei »

Got my little Nitida from Steve. I assume it's the new generation...

How about a photo update on your Parvifolia and other boos eh John?