Time lapse photos

how to take close-ups and what parts of the plants to get photos of for ID.

Moderators: David, Iowaboo, Thuja

BruceLofland
Location info: 0

Time lapse photos

Post by BruceLofland »

I am trying to get a series of photos of my shoots coming up. Right now I am just taking pictures every day about the same time from about the same spot. I am hoping to manipulate the images with photo software to align them with each other and maybe morph from one to the other. Has anyone tried this?
Bruce
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

RE: Time lapse photos

Post by foxd »

I haven't tried it, but it sounds like a really neat idea! I would be interested in seeing the finished product!
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Eastlandia

Post by Eastlandia »

Being part of Generation X (not a good thing) :roll: I have delt with some pretty complicated electronic crap. Its really hard to align each photo unless you crop each photo acording to something that dosent move in each photo (base of shoot would work). Also angles have to be right too. Its not fun to make a "speed up film" Im going to try to leave a tri-pod out next year and "film" some shoots. :wink:
If you own a fairly recent computer get a movie making softwear that allows you to incorportate your own frames. .....Macromedia might have something. Ill get back to you on that. Good luck though, I drifted onto this "Taking Pictures" Fourum to post this exact topic. You already have. -Eastlandia

Also we can only upload pictures on Bam_web so far. So if you succeed you should see how you could upload the film.
Brian T. Lawrence
Southern Indiana (2002-2011)
Fort Myers Florida (2012-2013)
Tanzania (2014)
Thuja
1951: -37*F;
1996: -29*F;
2005: -10*F;
2006: -17*F;
2007: -17*F.

Post by Thuja »

A few weeks ago I had thought about taking time-lapse shots of bamboo shoots. I did this once with a tomato seed germinating and it worked out pretty well. Here's the tomato seed video if you want to see it...
http://matcmadison.edu/mchristoffel/pla ... 80kbit.WMV (96kbps) Windows Media

The Intel microscope I used made it easy. I just set how often to take photos and let it run for a couple days. If I recall, the microscope took a photo once every 20 minutes.
--Mike
Cynthia
Aub-Sac Foothills

Post by Cynthia »

Timelapse software is available that works with almost any Canon (still) digital camera.
If you are interested, go to YouTube.com and search for "Del Webb Scrapers" or (my personal fav) the "rotting watermelon." Or see link below.

Hope this helps....Have fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA6v7BVBcEU
Cynthia
Jeff: Igor's Apprentice

Post by Jeff: Igor's Apprentice »

Maybe if you secured a tripod in place you could bring the camera in and out as needed without disrupting perspective. However, with very tall bamboo shots that would look great in the early stages would leave your bamboo out of frame in the later stages. It seems like if you started close to the shoot and then moved away in regular increments of distance it might look ok as long as you moved in a perfectly straight line. :shock: Oh, I'm getting a headache just thinking about it. Just do your best and maybe it will turn out with a really cool "artsy" effect. :lol:
Thuja

Post by Thuja »

Cynthia, thanks for the link to the time-lapse clips. For some odd reason it's very entertaining to watch things rot very quickly. :twisted:

Hoe, hoe, hoe, one of these days I will rig up your time-lapse photo setup and film the epic bamboo shoot movie, moving in perfectly straight lines of course. Heck, might as well make it an IMAX 3D movie while I'm at it. 8)
--Mike
Jeff: Igor's Apprentice

Post by Jeff: Igor's Apprentice »

:blackeye: :lol: Maybe it would be easier to mount the camera up really high and aimed toward the ground and instead of a moving camera, how about really great zoom capabilities. Does that simplify things? If not, try clay-mation. :director:
Thuja

Post by Thuja »

Hmm... claymation might be the ticket. I do have plenty of clay available.

Acually, I think I'll rig something up this winter indoors so I'll have something to do when it's below zero outside.
--Mike
Bamboo Chuck
New Smyrna Beach, Florida 32168

386-427-3330

Post by Bamboo Chuck »

I am in the process of putting together about 20 time lapse photos taken of a new shoot, photographed a day or two apart. I set up a tripod and leave it under cover and take camera out at same time of day to shoot. Problem is getting close enough to see new shoot while far enough to see plant. Making pictures match up is a real chore but do-able with a lot of patience. Even on tripod and carefully attaching camera at same zoom each time....the pictures are still a little off. I think the raccoons and armadillos move the tripod at night. A lot of wok, but may be worth the trouble. For post processing, I will probably use Premier Pro or Corel Photo paint to assemble a movie to put on our web site.
Chuck & Michelle
wwww.bamboo.ws
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Re: RE: Time lapse photos

Post by Roy »

Bamboo Chuck wrote:I am in the process of putting together about 20 time lapse photos taken of a new shoot, photographed a day or two apart. I set up a tripod and leave it under cover and take camera out at same time of day to shoot. Problem is getting close enough to see new shoot while far enough to see plant. Making pictures match up is a real chore but do-able with a lot of patience. Even on tripod and carefully attaching camera at same zoom each time....the pictures are still a little off. I think the raccoons and armadillos move the tripod at night. A lot of wok, but may be worth the trouble. For post processing, I will probably use Premier Pro or Corel Photo paint to assemble a movie to put on our web site.
Back in the heyday of Bamboopeople.com, there was a guy who has made a time lapse video of a temperate bamboo shooting. It was pretty interesting to watch. Can't recall who the person was who made that time lapse video. :roll: :roll:
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
Chris S
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America
Location: SE UK 400ft Zone 8/7 Low usually 28F, -4C (-10, -12, -14, -1, -6C last 5); High 99F, 37C in 2019

Post by Chris S »

I had a phone call from the BBC last week. It was from a producer on the Planet Earth series, which is just being screened here in the UK and has some stunning time lapse sequences. She is working now on a series called Wild China, and she wanted to discuss doing time lapse of bamboo shoots among other things. Their team will be taking the shots in Yunnan Province of China. If it works out for them, we should be able to look forward to some great professional offerings when they air that series sometime in the future.

Chris
Thuja

Passiflora bloom Time lapse photos

Post by Thuja »

I can't recall if I'd posted this time-lapse of Passiflora loefgrenii x caerulea bloom from a cross the previous summer. It's not bamboo, but it might work on a cold day like today...
http://matcmadison.edu/mchristoffel/pla ... 00Kbps.wmv (4MB) Windows Media. Actually these flowers open so fast that you can watch them open in real time.
--Mike
bamboozal

Re: RE: Time lapse photos

Post by bamboozal »

Chris S wrote:I had a phone call from the BBC last week. It was from a producer on the Planet Earth series, which is just being screened here in the UK and has some stunning time lapse sequences. She is working now on a series called Wild China, and she wanted to discuss doing time lapse of bamboo shoots among other things. Their team will be taking the shots in Yunnan Province of China. If it works out for them, we should be able to look forward to some great professional offerings when they air that series sometime in the future.

Chris
Hi Chris,
I'm an avid fan of the Planet Earth series and to be honest, any of David Attenborough's work. Would you happen to have more information regarding this project and when it is likely to make it to air?

Thanks.
cheers,
Adrian.
Thuja

Post by Thuja »

I'm a new fan. I just recently saw the Blue Planet: Seas of Life BBC series. It is fantastic. The "Deep Sea" episode shows many newly discovered organisms. I can't wait to see what "Wild China" has to offer.
--Mike