Bamboo groves from a distance

how to take close-ups and what parts of the plants to get photos of for ID.

Moderators: David, Iowaboo, Thuja

stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Bamboo groves from a distance

Post by stevelau1911 »

Here's a picture showing some of my bamboos at different stages of development. Hopefully they will be the same color by next spring.
bamboohabitat
Location info: 0

Re: Bamboo groves from a distance

Post by bamboohabitat »

Very nice, I'd love to see the growth since this photo.
At Bamboo Habitat we take care of our customers by providing excellent customer service. I'd love to talk to you about your bamboo related projects from tiki bars to unique bamboo poles and rolled bamboo fences.
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

Looking good Steve.
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
stevelau1911

Post by stevelau1911 »

This picture was taken only 6 weeks ago so there hasn't been anything interesting yet, but given that a warm winter is very likely, I might see some of them double in height next year.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

stevelau1911 wrote:but given that a warm winter is very likely...
You just jinxed yourself. :wink:

Plus, those long-range forecasts don't mean anything. Your winter could be really warm on average, with one super-cold week. Best to plan for a brutal winter and then be pleasantly surprised.
philippe smets

Post by philippe smets »

do you think it s worst to have a very cold week during a average warm winter than an average cold winter ?

have good day

ph
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

Philippe, I don't know. I'd just like an "average" winter with no extremes. :D
stevelau1911

Post by stevelau1911 »

I took your advice, went ahead and tarped all the bamboos today. It took around 2 hours because many of them were over 10ft tall with lots of culms, but now I don't even care if it happens to drop below 0F. Most of these bamboos don't leaf burn until it drops several degrees below 0F so I would imagine with any protection at all, they should be nice and green for next year. Since I protected them, we might not even see single digits this winter just so my effort becomes a waste.

Most of them were simply tarped to the ground, some had the column tarp and even putting heavy objects on top of some of them which works because extreme cold almost always requires several inches of snow which usually covers a bent over culm completely. I've never done winter protection on bamboo to this extent before, but I'll take some pictures once there's a sunny day and put up a blog on it.
philippe smets

Post by philippe smets »

cool, I ll wait for your feedback at the end of the winter

have a good day

philippe
stevelau1911

Post by stevelau1911 »

I'll uncover them around March 1st which is about the time when the threat for sub-zero temperatures are over. It has been a pretty wet late summer & fall so if they all come out with no leaf burn at all, there should be a huge upsize on everything when shooting season happens in April/ May.
bamboohabitat

Post by bamboohabitat »

Almost March 1st! We don't have to deal with hard long freezes here.. got my fingers crossed for ya.
At Bamboo Habitat we take care of our customers by providing excellent customer service. I'd love to talk to you about your bamboo related projects from tiki bars to unique bamboo poles and rolled bamboo fences.