Rufa shoots

how to take close-ups and what parts of the plants to get photos of for ID.

Moderators: David, Iowaboo, Thuja

Alan_L
Location info: 81

Rufa shoots

Post by Alan_L »

Do all 'Rufa' shoots look the same, with that pinkish coloring? I've got one plant that I'm starting to question the ID on -- it doesn't seem as cold-hardy as my other Rufa plants, it's not sizing up as quickly as I expected, and the shoots are much more green. Could be siting, but just wondered if anybody had any thoughts? I'll post photos if it ever stops raining, but the shoots may be too big by then.
canadianplant
Location info: 0

Re: Rufa shoots

Post by canadianplant »

Rufa seems to upsize slow, but spread fairly fast. Mines gotten to about 3 feet tall (in its fourth year). Last year the shoots were way bigger then previous years. I dont recall my Rufa having pink sheaths though.... Is yours a normal division or a TC plant, like "green panda"?
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

I've noticed this year that the Rufa is shooting much later and the shoots look much larger than normal. They are "pinkish".
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

I've definitely got a "green panda" or three, but two of my Rufas may or may not be TC, and this one may not be a Rufa at all. I have to do a little more comparative digging into wet plants, but it looks like its shoots are much taller than the other plants. I guess some photos would help.
johnw
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

Rufa "Green Panda' shoots here are pink if they get sun. Here's a pic from last Spring.

Damn they look a lot like apicirubens shoots...........I now understand how the two spp. got mixed up so easily.
Attachments
Fargesia dracocephala 'Rufa' IH DSCF7044.JPG
johnw coastal Nova Scotia