my bamboos///

how to take close-ups and what parts of the plants to get photos of for ID.

Moderators: David, Iowaboo, Thuja

naj01
Location info: 0

my bamboos///

Post by naj01 »

idont know what species the tall ones are.... but they are two years old ....
and bambusa vulgaris is 18months ...
moriphen
Location info: 0
Location: Southern New Jersey 7b about 5 mins from Philadelphia, PA

Re: my bamboos///

Post by moriphen »

Very stunning against the white buildings! Thank you for sharing.
M
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

You do have some very good contrast there, and it looks like those bamboos can grow so much better. Mine are pretty dense too, but they tend to fan out as the shoots that emerge from the perimeter tend to grow at a slight angle away from the center of the grove.

Parvifolia

Atrovaginata

Propinqua beijing

Makinoi, really having trouble with running as the grove takes up less than 1 square feet of space with barely any rhizome growth this year which was its 3rd season in the ground. It was taken outside of the pot before being planted too, even though it doesn't look like it.

Even my neighbor's fargesia rufa is running at a faster rate than makinoi at this point.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

Your makinoi is quite upright! I have a few culms that are outward leaners in mine.

Also, how can you be sure that the rhizomes are not spreading? Do you dig an 18" deep trench all the way around your plant?
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

I can tell they haven't gotten more than 2-3ft because I've taken a shovel, and inspected around all of them, and it just seems like rhizomes aren't growing very long this year. With this type of growth, shoots should only have the ability to spread perhaps 1-2ft away from the nearest culm in the spring of 2014.

They are super bushy which means that there should be plenty of energy to push shoots, but just not too much rhizome growth. The makinoi only has rhizomes at around the 1ft mark, no signs of rooting out on them yet so it may take a while to catch up to the other groves.