Buddha Belly ?

how to take close-ups and what parts of the plants to get photos of for ID.

Moderators: David, Iowaboo, Thuja

pokenei
Location info: 0

Buddha Belly ?

Post by pokenei »

I came across this boo while in China.

The shoot appeared to have less belly than the matured culm. The inter-nodes appear to be longer also. There are no other bamboos nearby, so the shoot must be a Buddha. Unless those compressed bellies have yet to rise up.
Attachments
IMG_20131002_145813.jpg
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Buddha Belly ?

Post by needmore »

That looks like the real one, Bambusa vulgaris 'Wamin'
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

I have several of those. In pots, they look like Bambusa Vulgaris wamin... get them in the ground and a few years later, they look like Bambusa Ventricosa.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Allen, it was the hairy culm leaves that caught my eye, do those appear on the ventricosa sometimes? I always recall when I lived in Hawai'i that the culm leaves on vulgaris stuck me like cacti needles and those look similar.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
boonut
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

needmore wrote:Allen, it was the hairy culm leaves that caught my eye, do those appear on the ventricosa sometimes? I always recall when I lived in Hawai'i that the culm leaves on vulgaris stuck me like cacti needles and those look similar.
I have quite a few regular vulgaris and yes, the culm sheaths definitely look like that. In town, you see a lot of regular vulgaris. Out at my farm, they don't grow as large... unless we get a lot of rain.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

boonut

Post by boonut »

I don't know why the wamin reverts to plain vulgaris down here after a few years. I know a few people that have wamin that didn't have that happen. I planted about 10 wamin in the ground over 10 years ago... none of them have the compacted nodes now.

I also planted around 15 Bambusa Ventricosa "Kimmei" over 10 years ago in the ground... most from cuttings. Many had swollen internodes the first few years... and now none do. With the droughts we had for about 3 years... and then plenty of rain in the past few months, kimmei is shooting like crazy and growing twice as tall. Kimmei is one tough bamboo. It requires very little water... and looks great. When it gets plenty of water, it takes off.

When I planted most of my bamboo at the farm, I was trying to see which one looked the best, required the least effort and water, and didn't freeze. Kimmei is one that fits all of that. Very nice. I don't even thin that one. Very nice naturally.

Most of the wamin... once they lost the compressed internodes... pretty much stopped growing... maybe one culm per year. None look very good.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

ricshaw

Post by ricshaw »

Glad to hear the positive review for Bambusa Ventricosa "Kimmei".

I have both the Wamin striata and the Kimmei. The Kimmei is recovering from a transplant after a sever gopher attack.

I do not see the swollen internodes on new growth. I have had people who have Bambusa Ventricosa ask me why they are not getting the "Buddha belly" look.
Please PM me if you have heard any new news about the ABS SoCal chapter.
terrabamboo

Post by terrabamboo »

Would Bambusa Ventricosa "Kimmei" grow in Central MS or does it get too cold? 8b.
How about Bambusa chungii ?
Terra Bamboo
300 acre Bamboo Plantation Project
Focusing on Henon, Moso, Robert Young, Rubro, Vivax and Fargesia