Deer

Controlling pests of bamboo

Moderator: needmore

foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Deer

Post by foxd »

Over the years I have seen a range of deer damage and signs of deer prowling about the neighborhood. However, recently I have noticed a lack of indications of the presence of deer. I am beginning to wonder if something has happened to them.

For instance, we had a blanket of snow and there were no deer tracks in it. Usually there will be deer tracks running every which direction, but this time there were none. Other animal tracks were present.

This combined with the fact that I usually see one or more every couple of days and it has been weeks since a sighting makes me wonder what happened to them. :?
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

RE: Deer

Post by boonut »

When is deer season?
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
svendrix
Location info: 25

USDA Zone 6B (possibly 7A/7B/8A depending on who you ask around here, so I am sticking with the most conservative estimate for now)

Elevation 700 feet
Constant winds (10-20 MPH)

Post by svendrix »

Hi foxd,

They may have shown up here! We had our snow a week or two back, and I had deer tracks everywhere. My boo seems to be fine so far, but I might be able to report on the species they prefer the most later on down the line... =D

---Sven

PS, do deer seem to prefer the leaves mostly, or do they tend to go for the new shoots also?
foxd

Re: RE: Deer

Post by foxd »

boonut wrote:When is deer season?
Considering I live in town, the police take a dim view of people wandering the neighborhood shooting at deer, even if they are in season.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Eastlandia
Location info: 0

Post by Eastlandia »

Considering I live in town, the police take a dim view of people wandering the neighborhood shooting at deer, even if they are in season.
(with hick voice: ) "Thats why I live in Brown County!"

Deer over here usually go for leaves...I have seen damage on a few of my species, but usually on just one branch...they dont like it so much.

I did lose 3 culms of P.N. 'Henon' due to a deer rubbing his antlers on the culms in December. Thats about the maxium damage yet.

svendrix - During the shooting time, the deer have other sources of food which the deer prefer rather than the shoots...at least for my place. :D
Brian T. Lawrence
Southern Indiana (2002-2011)
Fort Myers Florida (2012-2013)
Tanzania (2014)
rfgpitt
Location info: 24

Post by rfgpitt »

Rick
foxd

Post by foxd »

Eastlandia, I've had deer destroy some beautiful large culms by rubbing their antlers or just breaking the culms. Really annoying.

rfgpitt, several years ago we did have the police arrest someone carrying a gun, who claimed to be deer hunting.

I did a search on the local paper's website, noting about the local deer in the past three months. :?
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

ringersa
Location: central Florida. 10 miles from the gulf. 85 ft elevation.

Post by ringersa »

Hi Sven,

I read somewhere--perhaps on this list... That PNW deer don't eat bamboo since bamboo is not native and they apparently know that it is food I guess. My boo has been planted in the path of several deer and neither shoot nor leaf have EVER been touched by anything except when my goats get out.

Sounds like I missed out on the trade fest :scratch: Oh well there's always next time.

Steve

approx. 60mi SW of you
Steve
svendrix
Location info: 25

USDA Zone 6B (possibly 7A/7B/8A depending on who you ask around here, so I am sticking with the most conservative estimate for now)

Elevation 700 feet
Constant winds (10-20 MPH)

Post by svendrix »

Steve (and eastlandia),

Ah, that is good to know on the deer, and it makes sense. Luckily where I live, there still seems to be a lot of native vegetation for them. Also, no antlers on the deer that hang out near me. Usually the mom and kiddies. I hope they stay happy that way, as it will make ME happy that way!

And Steve, no problem on the trade-fest, with that last message I tried to see if you were interested, but it was kinda last minute so I didn't have any real details for you. You are definitely welcome to join us for next time! Your collection dwarfs both of ours put together, heh! I think I now have a couple more that might not be on your list though. The dinner was fun just gabbing, but that was short too since I got out of bamboogarden so late and Gene had to go back to work at the Convention Center. Bamboo Garden had floods and snow and ice problems this winter, so a lot of boo got moved to new locations and they couldn't find some (lost tags, etc). So hopefully they have time to reidentify those few before I head back for some more boo I wanted but couldn't find.

There were a lot of HUGE vivax culms broken off and laying around the grove due to the snow/ice storms. There were a couple of people cleaning it up, I guess so they could take it home to use for crafts or something.

---Sven
foxd

Post by foxd »

I happened to meet up with a friend, who lives nearby, at lunch today. I asked him if he had noticed any deer around his house. He paused for a moment and said, "Now that you mention it, not recently, which is unusual."

Hmmm...

Now if we can just get rid of the woodchucks.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

marcat
Location info: 28

Post by marcat »

Maybe the Woodchucks did them in.
MarCat
needmore

Post by needmore »

Every year I get deer browse damage, they seem to pick a couple of species and then really hit them hard. This year they've done some moderate damage to my F. rufa, more to the Oshidensis. I'm sure I'll more once I look around some. Last year they ate about 40% of my Parvifolia....
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
foxd

Post by foxd »

marcat: While Woodchucks are vile nasty creatures that can completely destroy a garden overnight, I don't think they could catch the deer. Though I must admit, I can picture it happening.

needmore: I think the deer do taste tests of various plants to decide what they want to focus on eating. I had one year that all the hosta were eaten to the ground, but most years it is unbothered. Last year it was eating the blooms off all the lilies. They also did some munching on the Pseudosasa japonica and Arundinaria gigantea. As a result, I tend to plant stuff that is pretty, but poisonous for them to eat.

BTW, I have some seeds for some rather spectacular looking Datura if you are interested. Double blooms for both purple and yellow varieties. Though they do take a while to germinate.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

Green Man

Post by Green Man »

Deer, neighborhood children, door-to-door evangelists, or solicitors?

I can recommend a ScareCrow motion-activated sprinkler manufactured by Contech. Very effective, relatively quiet, non toxic and nonlethal. Although, I also recommend you shop around for the best price and inform any significant other of its presence in your landscape.
fredgpops
Location: plus 700ft in the Santa Cruz Mtns, 8 miles from the Pacific
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

I have lots of deer around. I read up on home brews that act as a deer repellent. This one works: 1 egg per cup of water, add a bit of liquid dish washer and mix well. Strain it and spray on plants or for max result, let mix ferment for a week or so. Start in spring when mothers are showing the babies the ropes. A friend adds red pepper to the mix. If you look at deer repellents in the store, they have mostly egg in them. Rgds