Bunny Damage

Controlling pests of bamboo

Moderator: needmore

ocimum_nate
Location info: 0
Location: American Fork, Utah High Desert, elevation 4566 feet, zone 5 or 6 depending on which source.

Bunny Damage

Post by ocimum_nate »

My daughters bunny was left out of the cage in the back yard the other day. I had to chase the thing around the yard for 15 minutes to get it back in the cage. The morning after when I was checking my plants I noticed that the bunny had chewed 3 out of four potted Fargesia nitida seedlings to the ground. I have brought the plants inside to see if I can get them to push new shoots and then I will keep them indoors through the winter because I think that is what it will take to get them to survive.
bepah
Location info: 36
Location: Brentwood CA The rumor is that we are 9b...I think 10a

RE: Bunny Damage

Post by bepah »

I would be thinking.....Weinerschnitzel.... :D
John Case
Rookie Gardener
Veteran Drinker
'Circular logic works because circular logic works!'
Flashburn

Post by Flashburn »

Sorry to hear about your little buddies getting eaten, that really sucks.

I had a pet rabbit once. It was so cute. till you tried to put it back in its cage. then it would claw the crap out of ya and scream like you where trying to kill it.

My bunny NEVER ever ate plants. Nope. It liked cords. Phone cords , game controller cords, guitar cords.

It got a happy home on a farm with a big pen. :lol:

btw if anyone here is familar with dave's insanity sauce, It doesn't work as a rabbit repellent. They don't even notice that their tongues are on fire. I put it on some of my cords and waited. No brain, no pain.

To give you an idea how hot dave's insanity sauce is

Tabasco sauce = 75 heat units.
daves insanity sauce = 5000 :lol:
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: RE: Bunny Damage

Post by foxd »

Flashburn wrote:btw if anyone here is familar with dave's insanity sauce, It doesn't work as a rabbit repellent. They don't even notice that their tongues are on fire. I put it on some of my cords and waited. No brain, no pain.

To give you an idea how hot dave's insanity sauce is

Tabasco sauce = 75 heat units.
daves insanity sauce = 5000 :lol:
I've had a similar problem with cats developing a taste for hot sauce. The coiled handset cords turned out to work just fine and the cats couldn't get a bite on them. I also have a P. aurea for the cats to satisfy their bamboo cravings on.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
ocimum_nate
Location: American Fork, Utah High Desert, elevation 4566 feet, zone 5 or 6 depending on which source.

Post by ocimum_nate »

There have been many a severed cord and other damage which is part of the reason I have opted to try and keep the bunny outside as much as possible.
ocimum_nate

Post by ocimum_nate »

We nearly ended up with rabbit stew last night after I found that the bunny got into my garden and did some mass destruction of all of the plants that it could have taken down it decided to take down 3/4 of my Fargesia scabrida and about half of my Indocalmus tessalatus..... I probably wouldn't be so upset but all the bunny did was chew the culms and didn't even eat the plants with a whole garden full of carrots and other desirable plants it just had to go and destroy my boo. Man am I bitter.....
Flashburn

Post by Flashburn »

Make it look like natural causes. say electrocution :lol: