Cause for concern?

Controlling pests of bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Cause for concern?

Post by Iowaboo »

Should I be concerned about the pest that I'm finding on my bamboo? Is there anything that can be done to stop this. Every year I've had bamboo and this pest shows up in the winter and apparently sucks the plant juices(?) out of the bamboo. By spring the leaves are all dried out and the culm is dead.
Markj
Location info: 0

RE: Cause for concern?

Post by Markj »

Transplant them a tad further South, should clear up that wilting in no time :wink:
Bamboo...Please note... This plant is seriously addictive and you may lose interest in other, less rewarding plants!
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

:lol:
rfgpitt
Location info: 24

Post by rfgpitt »

That "pest" better not be headed to Pennsylvania this weekend!

Markj,
I'm not familar w/ the highway system in the midwest, but I'm pretty sure Lance could drive south a whole day and still not be south enough to hide from that pest.....
Rick
Jeff: Igor's Apprentice

Post by Jeff: Igor's Apprentice »

Hemlock Wooly Adelgid.

....devastatin'.

Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

:shock: I bought a canadian hemlock this spring. I wonder if that is spreading it to my bamboos. I sent a sample to the university lab. :roll:
Jeff: Igor's Apprentice

Post by Jeff: Igor's Apprentice »

Typical noob response- blame the nurseryman! Let Mr. Nurseryman eat my losses! You said that you have had this problem for years and yet you only just acquired your hemlock!

Its clear to me. You've developed some type of adelgid super-bug in this Iowa boo growing experiment which nature never intended. And, now that you have the hemlock, these super-bugs have reverted back to the behavior that is typical for the species. The implications of this reversion is that the super-bugs will come into contact and breed with more of the typical population. This means that their unnatural genes, again- brought about your Godless experiments, will spread more quickly into the general populations. In fact, some have already spread to neighboring habitats where they will never be stopped or treated. My God man!- what will you do next- plant running bamboo??????

Usually I suggest things like bifenthrin or permethrin or imidacloprid being sprayed on infected trees.

In this case, I suggest we all stock up on these chemicals so that we can drink them just before these blood sucking creatures jump to their final host- US. Surely, the resulting organ failure will be less painful then being dessicated by demonic super-bugs.

Thanks, Iowaboo!

Thanks alot!
rfgpitt

Post by rfgpitt »

This is why we have import restrictions!
Rick
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

Aye, so I'm thinking of ways to get rid of this pest, and then it finally disappears, BUT it leaves this weird aphid like residue. Though unlike aphids, this abnormal creature secretes freezing goo!
dependable

Post by dependable »

Mabey you should try a Merrit type systemic. The thought of wooly adelgid attacking bamboo leaves me cold. I have seen what it has done to the hemlocks in my area. Only time it was set back was -5d temps, and that did not kill it. Yiou should quarenteen yourself ,plant wise, until you get this licked.
rfgpitt

Post by rfgpitt »

Hope we get a late Indian summer (I think it's Saint Martin's Summer for those over the pond) to temporarily rid you of the problem Lance....
Rick
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

No snow or ice at the moment, was a nice splendid day hitting a nice high of 37F