help...lako turning gold

Controlling pests of bamboo

Moderator: needmore

fasttruck
Location info: 0

help...lako turning gold

Post by fasttruck »

hi, I'm new to this forum but have been cultivating and enjoying my many bamboos for 9 years now...I have a 10 month old timor lako in the ground, 12' tall new culms...all seemed to be going well until Sunday when I noticed most of the older leaves are turning orange/gold and falling off...I checked my water and the pH is at 8 which scares me...I have dozens of plants, 2" to 40'+ and none seem to be affected...I am in a near panic mode wondering what is the cause and how I should deal with this...any help will be greatly aappreciated
bepah
Location info: 36
Location: Brentwood CA The rumor is that we are 9b...I think 10a

RE: help...lako turning gold

Post by bepah »

Fasttruck,

Where are you located? What is the pH of the dirt? How often do you water? Do you have a photo?

Thanks.
John Case
Rookie Gardener
Veteran Drinker
'Circular logic works because circular logic works!'
fasttruck

Post by fasttruck »

bepah, thank you so much for the reply...I live in west central florida, pH of water is 8, soil is being analyzed today for pH...I water this plant every 2 weeks now that it is established...I can easily take a photo but see no way to post it here...the leaves are a very deep gold, aalmost a rusty gold color and are gettin worse... :cry:
bepah
Location info: 36
Location: Brentwood CA The rumor is that we are 9b...I think 10a

Post by bepah »

You can load your photos into one of the photo services.....I use Photobucket, and then use the provided URL and copy in into your message.

If you are only watering once every 2 weeks, I would guess that it is getting dry between waterings, along with the high pH (maybe) nutrients may be tied up in the soil.....

You might want to either acidify the soil or add chelated iron, or top dress with compost or peat......

anyone else with ideas?
John Case
Rookie Gardener
Veteran Drinker
'Circular logic works because circular logic works!'
fasttruck

Post by fasttruck »

bepah, you've restored my confidance in humanity...I've spent the day calling friends and found the nursery that the lako came from...they validate that it is a water issue and the pH issue was dealt with earlier...I am adding acid to the water to free up nutes...iron will be added today...once again, thanks you for you generosity
marcat
Location info: 28

Post by marcat »

Is that well water or city water? If city water it is time to bitch. That high a PH is a no no.
MarCat
fasttruck

Post by fasttruck »

not city water...I live out in the middle of 20K acres so there not much of a chance of city anything...not even tv...have to use sattelites out here...I am dealing with the pH by ading acid to the nutes for the small plants under 4' in width...the large plants have been broadcasted with organic sulphur to change the pH...I've been puzzled for about a year now as to why the boo isn't fuller and more lush...now I guess I know why
mike best

Post by mike best »

I was just told the other day that several experienced growers have not been able to get there lako to full size here in FLorida.

Suspect is the winter chill and who knows what else, maybe just an isolated incidence?

Is anyone else is having that problem?

Anyone have a Lako that has attained full size in Florida?

To my surprise, my G. Atro. with new culms and leaves for 2008 has recently changed to fall colors and have they have a golden, yellow hue to them and some have dropped. I was thinking it is the change in weather but I am just guessing.
Mike Best
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Re: RE: help...lako turning gold

Post by Roy »

mike best wrote:I was just told the other day that several experienced growers have not been able to get there lako to full size here in FLorida.

Suspect is the winter chill and who knows what else, maybe just an isolated incidence?

Is anyone else is having that problem?

Anyone have a Lako that has attained full size in Florida?

To my surprise, my G. Atro. with new culms and leaves for 2008 has recently changed to fall colors and have they have a golden, yellow hue to them and some have dropped. I was thinking it is the change in weather but I am just guessing.
The only picture in the image gallery that looks like B. lako might be 3.5 inches is this one:

--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
fasttruck

Post by fasttruck »

I was in north west florida today and saw a lako that was healthy and vibrant...another at USF gardens...none have grown to their full potential but they look beautiful...
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Re: RE: help...lako turning gold

Post by Roy »

fasttruck wrote:I was in north west florida today and saw a lako that was healthy and vibrant...another at USF gardens...none have grown to their full potential but they look beautiful...
The B. lako at USF Botanical Gardens, Tampa, Florida, came from me, but I can't remember how long it has been growing in the gardens:

--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

We have high pH with a little salt in the water. Lako love it here. I don't think high pH is the problem.

I have known a few people that tried well water and it caused problems... but it had to do with high concentrations of other minerals.

I am not saying that all well water is bad. Mine is definitely not the best, because it has quite a bit more salt than city water or irrigation water.

My Lako definitely isn't 3". But it is really pretty with over 50 culms. I even thin out about 18 or so a year. It seems to shoot all year long until we get our first cold front with temps down into the low 40's. Believe it or not, we will get our first cold temps tonight. Supposed to get down to 42F.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

Here is the latest picture of mine. After the hurricane this year... after thinning out the clump to about 50 culms.

Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com