Woodchucks (aka groundhogs)

Controlling pests of bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Alan_L
Location info: 81

Woodchucks (aka groundhogs)

Post by Alan_L »

Seeing the photos of Punxsutawney Phil today reminded me that I may or may not have problems this year with "the other" garden-eating muncher: woodchucks (or groundhogs).

I may have made the area that they have been living in behind my property less desirable over the last couple of years, because last summer I didn't see too much of him/her/them, but in past years it/they have been big-time trouble.

Anybody else have problems with these critters, and if so, how worried about my bamboo should I be? I'm thinking that they don't seem to come out too much until summer (especially late summer when they are packing on the fat for the winter) so my shoots may be ok, but I'm still concerned.
rfgpitt
Location info: 24

RE: Woodchucks (aka groundhogs)

Post by rfgpitt »

I did not notice that they got into my bamboo at the old place, just the deer and rabbits. I did though, have to defend the vegetable garden.

If you have a religious (god-fearing) side to you, just make sure to "use" the animal for something constructive - I recommend digging a hole and letting it fertilize your bamboo.
Rick
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

I have also had to deal with them. They did not go after the bamboo, except for possibly one year. (They didn't try them at the right time and gave up.)

Defend your vegetable garden! They will attack and destroy! :shock:
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Alan_L

Re: RE: Woodchucks (aka groundhogs)

Post by Alan_L »

foxd wrote: (They didn't try them at the right time and gave up.)
Meaning they tried too late and missed the shoots, right? That's what I thought might happen based on when I usually see the woodchucks. Of course I've also seen one on rare occasion really early in the Spring too, so who knows. I'll probably protect as many shoots as I can this year, just in case.

Vegetable garden: they seem to like broccoli (whole plant) and sweet potato leaves the best in my experience. :x

I did see one fall about 10-12' out of a mulberry tree last summer. :lol:
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

They tried the shoots when they were about a foot or more tall. They decided they didn't like them.

Apparently they can climb trees and fences if given enough motivation. Something I never considered from the look of them, but did see one try and climb a tree to get away from me. It changed its mind and fled instead.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

Grounghogs are good to eat, so put out corn and soy beans early spring to fatten them some. Take them cleanly with a well placed shot (so they can't crawl back to their hole) skin, remove scent glands from hind quarters, and roast over open fire or grill. They make really good BBQ.
The old timers tried to get several ground hogs before winter to provide their families with fat which was hard to come by in the winter.

If you have coyotes they will pretty much take care of the problem as they are a favorite spring treat for a den full of pups.

I've never had any trouble with them eating shoots, but I can't say the same for deer, rabbits, and squrriels. They are also best controlled by eating!
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
Alan_L

Post by Alan_L »

:shock:

That's a bit extreme for me, as I won't even kill a mole (catch and relocate is my method).

Plus, I'm pretty sure that's not legal here, although apparently if you have "nuisance" animals, anything goes.

I will keep it in mind though if our social order breaks down due to economic or ecological collapse. :wink:
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Post by ghmerrill »

last I remember seeing, hand raised baby groundhogs went for $300 each as pets.......
Alan_L

Post by Alan_L »

Just came across this info. Putting it here to hopefully help others (and me!) in the future:

--------
Use ‘repulsion’ to chase the beast over to the neighbor’s tomatoes and begonias. Researchers have noted that groundhogs are THE most fastidious of underground creatures, constantly digging new latrines and sealing off old ones to keep their runs ‘Martha Stewart fresh’. So obtain some used kitty litter—preferably from a litter box that went too long between changes—scoop out and properly dispose of the solid waste, and then pour the ammonia-rich remainder into that main entrance hole. The groundhog’s reaction will be the same as if someone had dumped a truckload of the stuff into your living room: “Honey—we’ll never get this place clean! We have to move.”

The groundhog will almost certainly dig another tunnel nearby. You can foul that one rightaway or be mean and wait a week or so. Listeners who have tried this assure me that their giant squirrels have always moved on to less fragrant surroundings after the 3rd or 4th fouling.
---------
rfgpitt
Location info: 24

Post by rfgpitt »

David,
If I ever come to visit, we're ordering pizza!

In all honesty, I'll try anything once. At least with groundhog there's some meat.
Rick
David
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

Alan_L wrote::shock:

That's a bit extreme for me, as I won't even kill a mole (catch and relocate is my method).

Plus, I'm pretty sure that's not legal here, although apparently if you have "nuisance" animals, anything goes.

I will keep it in mind though if our social order breaks down due to economic or ecological collapse. :wink:

I think perhaps the more extreme thought process is one that somehow thinks killing a mole is a bad thing. Guess it depends on ones background.

I'm pretty sure it's legal to eat groundhog in Missouri.

One part of your social disorder/collapse model is in place, and if the environment goes the way Al Gore is praying that it will go then you better get your .22 rimfire ready . :shock: :wink: :lol:
David Arnold
USDA zone 6b
David

Post by David »

What Rick? You never heard of groundhog pizza? We make a 3 meat pizza from groundhog, possum, and corn fed swamp nutra. Ummmmm! Good! And good for you if you don't get bit. 8)
David Arnold
USDA zone 6b
Alan_L

Post by Alan_L »

It's not the eating that I thought would be illegal -- it's the shooting. Statewide, probably ok, but in the suburbs here, probably not. :)

Actually, just a few miles farther "out" from where I live, and groundhog shooting/eating is probably required. :wink:
David

Post by David »

Alan_L wrote:It's not the eating that I thought would be illegal -- it's the shooting. Statewide, probably ok, but in the suburbs here, probably not. :)

Actually, just a few miles farther "out" from where I live, and groundhog shooting/eating is probably required. :wink:
I thought you were probably talking about the shooting in town thing, but it would not have been nearly as funny as the illegal groundhog eating thing
:wink:
Regards,
David
David Arnold
USDA zone 6b
dependable
Location info: 0

Post by dependable »

Try a farm grade ultrasonic pest repeller. One place I have seen then is Gemplers