Woodchucks (aka groundhogs)

Controlling pests of bamboo

Moderator: needmore

foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

RE: Woodchucks (aka groundhogs)

Post by foxd »

My experience with Woodchucks is that when trapped they lose all bowel control, leaving a mess in the trap. Having had one ram its way out of a Hav-a-Hart trap to escape, I reinforce the ends with metal rods when moving it. My original stategy called for relocating them.

I used to take them to Animal Control, but due to budget cutbacks they quite dealing with unlicensed animals. ( I have issues with Animal Control! :evil: ) I was also told by them it was illegal to release wild animals in the county. :shock: :evil: And I would have to talk to the DNR about disposal since it was under their jurisdiction.

The DNR said, "What!"

Fortunately I had a friend who was moving out of a rental property after dealing with a deranged landlord who wouldn't fix a collapsed ceiling.

-----

David: I doubt that Al Gore is actually praying for global warming. It is more of a case of him looking at what the Climatologists are saying and realizing that this cannot end well.

It may be 9°F now, but temperatures this weekend are expected to be in the 50's.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Re: RE: Woodchucks (aka groundhogs)

Post by Alan_L »

I think we have the same laws here: you can trap nuisance animals but you can't release wild animals. So basically if you catch it, you have to kill it.
foxd wrote:Fortunately I had a friend who was moving out of a rental property after dealing with a deranged landlord who wouldn't fix a collapsed ceiling.
You cannot end the story here!
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

Dan, I think climatology is like politics, and religion. People hold to what they believe to be the truth and there's not much room for discussion. I was just trying to funny when I said Al Gore was praying for global warming, although if it doesn't happen he's going to look pretty stupid.

I'm with Alan you cannot end the story of the trapped groundhog without some more info 8) .
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

I kill critters such as this and opossum and give them to my cats. They don't eat them, so it must be bad.
dudley
Location info: 44
zone 9a/b
right between too cold & not cold enough

Post by dudley »

no problems with gophers and such here but i did wake up one night at three a.m. and discover a mole burrowing under the living room carpet.
pull up carpet remove mole not getting much sleep after that! :cry:
"Plants are people just like us"
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

Interesting to hear about other parts of the country, I didn't realize Floridians have dirt floors.
dudley
zone 9a/b

Post by dudley »

makes it easier to clean up after the chickens
foxd

Post by foxd »

David wrote:Dan, I think climatology is like politics, and religion. People hold to what they believe to be the truth and there's not much room for discussion. I was just trying to funny when I said Al Gore was praying for global warming, although if it doesn't happen he's going to look pretty stupid.
David, things are not what they seem in this debate. The climatologists are very sure they are right, but don't want to be. The denialists hold varied beliefs on whether the climatologists are right, but want people to think they are wrong and will seize on anything to try and convince people of this.

As a result we have things like Right-wing conservatives believing what they read in Pravda and the fact that it is written by a 9/11 "Truther" just gives it extra credibility.
http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-shepp ... nk-ice-age

We also have professional deniers on FOX screaming that theirs is bigger. :shock:
(I don't have the URL handy at the moment, but it pretty much sums up the level of debate on the topic. I can post it later.)

And we have the people who think the world is going to end in 2012 due to sunspots/pole shift/Planet X/whatever. (I have this mental image of Nancy Leider blaming global warming on Planet X bobbling around the inner solar system. :D
I'm with Alan you cannot end the story of the trapped groundhog without some more info 8) .
I captured the groundhog, took it to Animal Control and said, "Here, this is for you."
They said, "We don't do that no more."
I said, "You're Animal Control. This is an animal. Control it."
They said, "We only deal with animals that are licensed. If it doesn't have a license then it is not our jurisdiction, but the jurisdication of the DNR."

The DNR said, "What?"

My friend was moving out so we left the groundhog for the landlord and that was the last we saw of it.

End of story.

But there is a prequel.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

foxd wrote:... so we left the groundhog for the landlord ...
I have a mental image of the landlord opening the door and a crazed woodchuck flying out.
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Post by ghmerrill »

similar to the mole under the carpet incident....
dudley
zone 9a/b

Post by dudley »

to label people deniers is wrong. scientists wanting the truth encourage people to question their data.we should always question, even if we believe. someday we may find scientists were wrong about something....oh, wait a minute,,,,,
mantis
Location info: 22

Post by mantis »

eh. Can't delete posts. This will have to do.
Last edited by mantis on Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

I heard global warming is caused by concrete.
foxd

Post by foxd »

dudley wrote:to label people deniers is wrong. scientists wanting the truth encourage people to question their data.we should always question, even if we believe. someday we may find scientists were wrong about something....oh, wait a minute,,,,,
The problem is that the deniers do not want the truth. They make their living by raising doubt and the longer they can delay action to limit the effects of Global Warming the more money they make for their clients.

True we should question, but the doubts should be reasonable. Unreasonable doubts that focus on area of sea ice coverage and ignore the total volume of ice, or focus on noise and ignore the signal are meant to mislead.

Oh yes, I found a link to this video which pretty much sums up the "debate".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_BceWzg2oM
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

dudley
zone 9a/b

Post by dudley »

i could make a living like that?
think it pays enough to mole proof my floor?
there are also issues with flying squirrels in the shower, but a totally vermin free home is more than i could hope for.