What is doing this?

Controlling pests of bamboo

Moderator: needmore

bambookid524
Location info: 0

What is doing this?

Post by bambookid524 »

Lately i have been noticing small hole dug around the edges of my potted boo's. They aren't very big (only around 1"-3" deep and 2"-5" wide), and don't seem to be hurting any roots or rhizomes, but I'd rather take the risk of the pest getting hungry and deciding to take a chomp out of one of my plants.

I'm thinking it may be a small mouse or something, looking for bugs, or possible a large beetle, but there is not "evidence" left behind by the culprit.

I know it is not soil washing out because this has happened on days I did not water the plants, and that it didn't rain on.

Here is a picture that shows that they are not going for the rhizomes because there is a rhizome that has been dug up but has no damage.

Sorry that you can't really tell there's a hole there, but there is, and it's about 2" deep.

I cant say for sure that they aren't harming the root, because today when i checked there were a few roots showing, but little damage if any was done.

If anyone can help ID the pest causing these hole it would be great.

If not, it just might have to end in a long night, tons of caffeine, and my good ole' BB gun :twisted:

...or maybe I'll just use some mouse traps :)
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

RE: What is doing this?

Post by David »

Probably a squirrel retrieving an acorn or nut it buried in the soft dirt last fall. I've been seeing lots of similar retrieval holes around here under the walnut trees. I've also had walnuts sprout in my outside pots from where the squirrels planted them, and forgot to dig them up. Little furry Johnny Appelseeds :D
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
bambookid524
Location info: 0

RE: What is doing this?

Post by bambookid524 »

Haha, OK.
Thanks a ton! I'm pretty sure thats it because when I was looking, i saw a few acorns in some of the pots! I also had a few sprout in them.

Now i won't have to set up rat traps :lol:

thanks,

Steve