Generic Merit

Controlling pests of bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Generic Merit

Post by Roy »

I was not aware that there was a generic version(s) of Merit until I called the supply place where I get my nursery pots. The lady told me they had X amount of Merit for $160, but if I wanted the generic version (Imidacloprid being the active ingredient in each) that X amount would be $105.

Has anyone used a generic version of Merit? I am all for using generics, but since it will be my first time buying any systemic insecticide other than retail Bayer Tree and Shurb with Imidacloprid), I would like to know if there is anything I should make sure I'm getting, be aware of, and etc.
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
Bamboo Outlaw
Location info: 0
Location: We are less than one hour south of downtown Houston. We are located in Wild Peach, Texas located half way between Brazoria and West Columbia. Exit hwy 36 onto County Road 354. Take County Road 353 west . Go approximately 2.4 miles. We are on the left.

Re: Generic Merit

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

Roy, I only use generic anymore. Same with Roundup. Save many $$$ and no issues ever. I have a wholesaler I deal with out of Houston.
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo
http://www.carterbamboo.com

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
ocimum_nate
Location: American Fork, Utah High Desert, elevation 4566 feet, zone 5 or 6 depending on which source.

Post by ocimum_nate »

I sell quite a bit of the generic product at the nursery that I work at, including a systemic insecticide drench with the same ingredient as merit. So far I have yet to have a complaint. The upside of the generic is it allows us to offer a equivalent product that the customer won't find on the shelf of Home Depot or Lowe's in addition the lower price makes us more competitive.
kudzu9
Location: Greater Seattle, WA, area; Zone 8. Summers:mainly 60's-70's. Winters are rainy, but above freezing except for a few 15 deg F days; 1-2 days of snow max.

Post by kudzu9 »

I ran across this interesting little article on generics, which makes some interesting points and names a few other generic equivalents.

http://www.greenbeampro.com/content/view/1235/43/

By the way, are you guys using Merit-type products for bamboo or for other purposes? The only thing I have to deal with for my bamboo is the occasional bamboo mite infection, and I have always had good success with Avid (abamectin). I like it because it is very effective, and the toxicity risk is essentially nonexistent: it's a reproductive cycle interrupter rather than a poison.