Another pest.

Controlling pests of bamboo

Moderator: needmore

ringersa
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America
Location: central Florida. 10 miles from the gulf. 85 ft elevation.

Another pest.

Post by ringersa »

OK, I have another in my long list of foes. First there were the Mice(voles). Next I noticed Whole small culms being pulled down the tunnels of aplodontia rufa (mountain beaver). Next came the bamboo mites. Harmless but a problem. This year on two different new shoots munching away on the tender sweet shoots of Phyllostachys were the common garden slug. Fortunately the damage is minor. So far the deer, elk and bison have not been interested... I WILL WIN!!!
Steve
needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Another pest.

Post by needmore »

This is this is the first year that I've ever had a deer/rabbit issue, I have one that likes to bite off the tips of my shoots - I THINK it is deer bites but the cut is angled rather than flat - isn't that a deer bite as opposed to rabbit? In any case they have almost killed off my Decora, it was severly damaged by me then winter and this @#$&& ate nearly all but the tiny survival shoots. One small nibble which kills the shoot, they don't even eat the whole thing, just the growing tip. Keep your eye on the deer, elk etc let 'em know who's boss!
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

Keep your eye on the deer, elk etc let 'em know who's boss!
Brad, sounds like you need a big, loud dog. :wink:
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

Brad- That sounds more like a rabbit or squirrel. Deer only have incisors on their lower jaw which are for ripping so their nibble is ragged. Rabbits and squirrels have razor sharp opposing incisors and leave a surgical cut. I have had excellent luck with garlic and hot sauce. I use the cheapest minced garlic I can find and Texas Pete. As far as I can tell this year every shoot I globed this on survived. I use a paint brush and just slap it on. Seems to work when the same concoction filtered and sprayed on does not- go figure.

I see this as a way to marinade the pest prior to shooting and eating. It saves time in the kitchen!
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b