Grub problem

Controlling pests of bamboo

Moderator: needmore

firemountain

Grub problem

Post by firemountain »

Need help. I am preparing my planting site for 2 separate groves along my back fence. While weeding and turning over the soil, I saw some grub larvae.

The boo will be planted on a 10 inch berm above the ground using a rhizome barrier along the back, incorporating the open sided barrier technique. First off....if I treat the soil with GrubEx before I install the barrier and the berm, do I have to wait before planting the boo? Secondly, If I plant the boo and then install the grubEX on the berm, will this damage the newly planted bamboo. Keep in mind this planting site just recently had my Fargesia Sp. Scabrida along the fence, which was recently transplanted.

Any advice and imput would be greatly appreciated.
Dominick
Bergen County, NJ
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Re: Grub problem

Post by Alan_L »

I don't know if the grubs will be able to do any harm to the bamboo, if that's what you're worried about. I guess it depends on how many grubs you have. 1 per square foot? 10? 20?

Personally, I'd skip the GrubEx. As far as I know it kills earthworms too, and I really want those worms digging around my bamboo! A few grubs aren't going to cause any problems IMO, and you'll never get rid of them all.
needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Grub problem

Post by needmore »

I've had termites/carpenter ants ravage Fargesias but no grub issues and the only concern I have about grubs is that they are a food source for voles/shrews so I'd try milky spore to keep the grubs at bay and not not worry about it, as Alan said the grubs themselves will not be an issue.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com