Bugs eating Vittata - help to ID & treat

Controlling pests of bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Todd G

Bugs eating Vittata - help to ID & treat

Post by Todd G »

I have a large clump of Vittata that is being stripped bare by some bugs. Here's the live state:

and a shed that gets left on the lower stalks:

Any idea of what these are and how I can control them? They seem to live in the soil and migrate up the stalks to molt, leaving dried shed on the stalks. These have taken a bushy, healthy, 40’ tall clump of bamboo and turned it into bare sticks – massive leaf drop. I cleared away the mulch recently and the ground was alive with them.

I’ve taken samples to a variety of big box, small store, and nurseries and no one has been able to ID these hungry little guys. I hit them with a root drench of Bayer Advanced this past weekend. I'm thinking of hiking up my wallet and springing for some Merit 75 powder for a good drench.

This and a couple of other clumps (wamin, chungi, lako, some others) also have a scale or similar infestation. Since most are way too tall for me to spray the top new growth, can someone recommend a systemic and mix ratio that would work for such tall bamboo? Normal systemic instructions show a mix-to-height ratio that would mean something like 50 gallons of pesticide!

Thanks for any advice. Great site and forum. Glad I found it.

My best,
Todd G
Melbourne, FL
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Bugs eating Vittata - help to ID & treat

Post by foxd »

I haven't seen them this year, but I had a mystery bug that was attacking a Yucca. The reason I mention this is that the size and coloration of the bug is very similar to yours. As in your case, nobody could identify it either. It could make a Yucca look yucky very quickly.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Bamboo Outlaw
Location info: 0
Location: We are less than one hour south of downtown Houston. We are located in Wild Peach, Texas located half way between Brazoria and West Columbia. Exit hwy 36 onto County Road 354. Take County Road 353 west . Go approximately 2.4 miles. We are on the left.

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo
http://www.carterbamboo.com

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

I thought it looked like lady bug larva too, but they don't eat leaves.

Have you tried the bug guide? http://bugguide.net/node/view/15740
or what's that bug? http://www.whatsthatbug.com
webgator
Location info: 0

Post by webgator »

Yeah, by the pictures it sure looks like a ladybug larvae, but you are correct when you state they don't eat leaves! According to this site both the larvae and mature ladybugs eat aphids...and lots of them!

http://www.ladybuglady.com/LadybugsFAQ.htm
Someday maybe I'll find a bamboo my wife likes...in the meantime I'll keep planting more!

My Bamboo Pics
Bamboo Propagation Info
dudley
Location info: 44
zone 9a/b
right between too cold & not cold enough

Post by dudley »

looks like some kind of beetle larvae.
you should be able to find adults if they are hatching.
"Plants are people just like us"