Dendrocalamus Giganteus sprouts - bugs?

Controlling pests of bamboo

Moderator: needmore

AimlessRolling
Location info: 0

Dendrocalamus Giganteus sprouts - bugs?

Post by AimlessRolling »

Hi, been lurking a while, first post!! I sprouted about 25 Dendrocalamus Giganteus last August. The last of three plantings came up and within a week has some brown/yellow leaves, but I thought it may have been the result of the liquid fertilizer used in the soil.:

The never did get any better and whatever was infecting them spread to adjacent pots, which were from an earlier sprouting:

I tried several different things including SEVEN dust and MALATHON, which both seem to work well on other bugs in my yard.

Any help would be appreciated, I would like to move these inside, but I am afraid to allow them anywhere near my remaining plants as I do not want to allow this to spread any farther.

I live in the Houston TX area.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Re: Dendrocalamus Giganteus sprouts - bugs?

Post by Alan_L »

Do you actually see any insects on the leaves? If it's a small insect like spider mites or bamboo mites, they won't turn the leaves brown. It could be a fungus or disease, or environmental conditions (too much water, not enough water, too much light, wind burn). It could also be normal -- many bamboos drop some leaves in the fall. Maybe it's just that the seedling is too weak -- sometimes the young plants "just die".

I would suggest stop fertilizing, use no pesticides or chemicals, and stop watering. Only water when the soil has started to dry out.

I don't have experience with Dendrocalamus, but I had a tiny F. nitida seedling "just die" on me this year.