Orange goop on bamboo?

Controlling pests of bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Don Shor
Location info: 0

Orange goop on bamboo?

Post by Don Shor »

Anybody care to identify this substance that is oozing from the frost-damaged shoots of my Bambusa beecheyana?
It is on the shoots that are exposed to the sun (only) and that were partially killed by 20 degrees (F) temperatures in early December. I consider Beechey's marginal in this climate (USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 14) due to the damage we get every few years.

needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Orange goop on bamboo?

Post by needmore »

I've described this very thing here before - usually my Phy. viridis top kills and then the orange slime follows, I have not noticed other species doing same. For me there is an associated smell of fermentation and if you cut the canes they will be darker & heavier than normal and will also smell fermented.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1

Post by bambooweb »

I don't know what it is but here are some photos of the cut culms on my Ph. atrovaginata last May.
Attachments
Atro_slime3.jpg
Atro_Slime2.jpg
Atro_Slime2.jpg (83.56 KiB) Viewed 5849 times
Atro_Slime1.jpg
Atro_Slime1.jpg (73.16 KiB) Viewed 5849 times
ocimum_nate
Location: American Fork, Utah High Desert, elevation 4566 feet, zone 5 or 6 depending on which source.

Post by ocimum_nate »

its a slime mold I believe
foxd
Location info: 21

Post by foxd »

Could it be a fungus like stinkhorn?
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
foxd
Location info: 21

Post by foxd »

Another orange goop observation on a dead box elder.

http://sparkleberrysprings.com/v-web/b2/?p=1434

One reason I think it is related to stickhorn fungus is that I had never noticed stinkhorns in the yard until we got bamboo.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
marcat
Location info: 28

Post by marcat »

I asumed it was slime mold. I got some on different Bamboo after our hard freeze in Dec. Oldhammi, Beechy and others. Mine wasn't such a bright orange but had the same wet ugly gooey look. By time I got around to treating it it seemed to have run its cycle. I sprayed it with copper based fungicied anyway. It seems to only attack heavily damaged or dead culms.Maybe harmless other looks?
MarCat