What is killing this one?

Controlling pests of bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Arachnotron
Location info: 0

What is killing this one?

Post by Arachnotron »

I have this B. odashimae at my parent's house. I notice that some of the culms were either totally dead or dying from the top down. The affected culms that have leaves look pretty sickly. Does the leaf damage look like mites? Is this something I should treat with the Bayer tree and shrub?

Tristan
moriphen
Location: Southern New Jersey 7b about 5 mins from Philadelphia, PA

Re: What is killing this one?

Post by moriphen »

Something is suckering the chlorophyll from the leaves. I had a similar outbreak and used Azatrol. Its expensive but if you follow the directions you will save the plant and keep all the pest killing bugs as well. If you go that route spray the leaves with 1st then 7 later follow the directions and poor the correct amount into the root ball and you should be protected for several months.

M
M
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

How will spraying the leaves keep the pest-killing bugs? Spraying will kill everything. That's the benefit of systemics -- the plant takes up the insecticide through it's roots, so only the bugs that drink the plant juices will ingest the poison.
Markj

Post by Markj »

Bamboo...Please note... This plant is seriously addictive and you may lose interest in other, less rewarding plants!
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Post by ghmerrill »

I second that mark... Mosaic virus is worse than boo mites!
moriphen
Location: Southern New Jersey 7b about 5 mins from Philadelphia, PA

Post by moriphen »

Alan_L wrote:How will spraying the leaves keep the pest-killing bugs? Spraying will kill everything. That's the benefit of systemics -- the plant takes up the insecticide through it's roots, so only the bugs that drink the plant juices will ingest the poison.

That was a pretty badly worded post of mine.. To better explain Azatrol is a neem oil extract that only effects bugs that eat the plant. It can be applied to the leaves or the soil when mixed with water per the instructions. Its main benefit is its selective targeting (bugs that eat plants) and the fact that its safe for bees, predatory bugs (wasps, ladybugs, lacewings etc). For example this is what happens to a mite that eats the chlorophyll out of a plant cell that has had Azatrol sprayed on the surface or absorbed via the roots: the plant now tastes awful, I'm full and don't want to eat again and my personal favorite I don't want to mate anymore. Meanwhile they are eaten by other bugs or die out.

M
M
marcat
Location info: 28

Post by marcat »

Tristan those culms yu cut off look a hole hell of lot like the ones I am dealing with here. Freeze damage not bugs. Still just in case Bayer is effective and will not hurt if you are not harvesting shoots to eat. Really look like freeze damage to me.
MarCat