is pyrethrin safe for bamboo.

Controlling pests of bamboo

Moderator: needmore

firemountain

is pyrethrin safe for bamboo.

Post by firemountain »

Hey guys,

I am looking to install a mosquito misting system in my backyard to keep the mosquito's and bugs away. I noticed that there are a variety of concentrated chemical sprays that can be utilized into these systems. One of main ingredients is pyrethrin. I have read the the chemical is organic and if applied in it's proper dosage is basically safe. My question is that the fogging mist can potentially come in contact with my bamboo groves, both clumping and running.

Does anyone know if this chemical is detrimental if it comes in contact with the bamboo...directly or indirectly.

Any info on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Conversely I also have a handheld ULV cold fogger that I could just manually spray whenever I wanted to have a party.

Thanks in advance.
Dominick
Bergen County, NJ
marcat
Location info: 28

Re: is pyrethrin safe for bamboo.

Post by marcat »

Pyrethrin shouldn't affect Bamboo or any plant used in moderation. But this mist system sounds dangerous for all plants animals and people. Little bit of over kill. Have you tried Cutters Bug Free Back yard stuff? Goes on your hose and covers 5000 ft2. Claims to have 8week control what ever that means but I find if aplied at the right time (two days after a heavy rain ex.) you get about a week and a half mosquito free. Most of my property is brush and I only spray my mowed area and the brush line. I know the stuff works because I get attacked by mosquitos when I go outside the treated area.
Try it before you spend big bucks on that misty stuff.
OH those expensive Mosquito traps do work but they are $$$$
MarCat
kudzu9
Location info: 0
Location: Greater Seattle, WA, area; Zone 8. Summers:mainly 60's-70's. Winters are rainy, but above freezing except for a few 15 deg F days; 1-2 days of snow max.

Post by kudzu9 »

firemountain-
I want to ask you to re-think doing this. I worked for an environmental regulatory agency for many years in the areas of pesticides and toxic substances and so I have some knowledge about pyrethrins. They are a potent, naturally-occurring pesticide, and they should be used only with restraint. The type of application method you are talking about sounds pretty indiscriminate, and I, personally would not want to subject myself or my family to repeated exposures. While they are of relatively low toxicity to humans and pets, they still can cause issues, and they are definitely toxic to beneficial insects like bees, and to fish populations if you have any nearby streams or lakes. If you google "pyrethrin + toxicity" you will get a better idea of the potential issues and whether they are of concern to you.
firemountain

Post by firemountain »

Hey Guys.....thanks for the info. I found this stuff on a website as an alternative to the pyrethrin. It's a green product and appears as though may be a better choice.

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/eco-e ... p-521.html

If someone could take a look at this product, and give me thier opinion, it would be greatly appreciated !!

I have a cold spray ULV fogger and I thought that maybe I could run this chemical through the machine the day before or the day of a party. Any thoughts??
Dominick
Bergen County, NJ
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

My opinion is... it sounds delicious! :wink:
marcat
Location info: 28

Post by marcat »

For your party I still say try Cutters it will give you a mosquito free party. Yes it is chemical but so called organics can be just as bad. Use any in moderation is the key.
MarCat