How I trick squirrels into leaving my bambo shoots alone

Controlling pests of bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Bamboo Conne'isseur
Location info: 0

How I trick squirrels into leaving my bambo shoots alone

Post by Bamboo Conne'isseur »

I just thought I would share on what I do once shooting times are close in order to prevent squirrels from eating my shoots. At my local produce shop they carry the coconuts already pealed(brown ones) with the three eyes(dark spots on top) for a pretty good price. One of those eyes are poked through as it is soft, and then you can drink the water which I love. After I enjoy, I take a hammer and smash it into a few pieces and then throw them by the trees, and in the bushes. The white coconut meat inside they love! In fact they love it so much, and it must be so filling that they don't even bother with the bamboo. It does not take a whole lot of them for the squirrels to be satisfied, so the cost is very little, especially since I love the coconut water and thrive off of it. Its a nice side benefit to drinking the coconut water. When I want to use the coconut meat I simply save one or two, and give them the rest. Seems to work pretty well.
Aaron
Jerry Hamilton

Re: How I trick squirrels into leaving my bambo shoots alone

Post by Jerry Hamilton »

Thanks anything is just about worth a try. The gave me fits this past shooting season. Even built a chicken wire cage around the Robert Young. Then had the pain of cutting it off of them later.
Redneck Bamboo Plantation
Sheridan, Arkansas
boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

I have two live oak trees that produce TONS of acorns. They normally don't mess with the bamboo. They do dig everywhere to plant the acorns. I also get pecan trees coming up everywhere from a neighbor's tree.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
Bamboo Conne'isseur

Post by Bamboo Conne'isseur »

Sorry to hear about that Jerry. Maybe try planting a oak? :) Allen has got the best prevention right there. If they have enough of their own food, they will probably stay away from the boo.
Aaron
marcat
Location info: 28

Post by marcat »

Squirrel Stew...
MarCat
Bamboo Outlaw
Location: We are less than one hour south of downtown Houston. We are located in Wild Peach, Texas located half way between Brazoria and West Columbia. Exit hwy 36 onto County Road 354. Take County Road 353 west . Go approximately 2.4 miles. We are on the left.

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

10/22 with AAC Prodigy and a good red dot/green dot on top.
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo
http://www.carterbamboo.com

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
dyamemills

Post by dyamemills »

hi
The Grey Squirrel, a native of N America, was introduced to the UK in the early 20th Century and has since become common in lowland Britain, wher it has largely eradicated the native red squirrel, and causes extensive economically devastating damage to forest trees. thanks
dyamemills
rickw
Location info: 84
Location: Theodore, AL, just south of I-10 and 1 mile from Mobile Bay, barely 8b

Post by rickw »

Planting oaks won't help, I've got tons of oaks and the squirrels have decided that this is the year to destroy bamboo. There's gonna be a killing round here before next shooting season. Haven't eaten squirrel in many years, but next winter squirrel will be the featured entree.
marcat
Location info: 28

Post by marcat »

RickW if you like dogs get a border collie pup. Train tit, or have it trained to harass squirrels. They will never know what hit them. Read where they are used to control pests like geese that wont fly north for the winter. Ain't no quit in them dogs squirrels can't out last them and will leave the area.
MarCat
rickw
Location: Theodore, AL, just south of I-10 and 1 mile from Mobile Bay, barely 8b

Post by rickw »

I've got an Australian Shepard that harasses them pretty well, but they escape to the tall oaks and hide til he goes away. Unfortunately this bamboo chewing habit they've developed is going to cost them their lives. They have destroyed all but a couple of the new shoots on my Japanese Timber and about half of the Nigra. They'll get to live til early next spring, then I'm going to thin them out considerably.
rickw

Post by rickw »

Moso shoots are coming up and the squirrels have found them. Bad news for the tree rats! My son came over and we had a killing, 10 squirrels down; the Fox Squirrels got to live. We'll see what tomorrowImageImage brings.
Mackel in DFW

Post by Mackel in DFW »

"Original Recipe"

Ingredients:

2 squirrels (skinned, gutted, and cut into pieces)

4 large potatoes (quartered)

1 pound carrots (chopped)

1 green bell pepper (chopped)

4 onions (sliced)

2 cups water

1/4 medium cabbage

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon ground black pepper

Directions:

1. In a slow cooker, place the squirrel meat, potatoes, carrots, green bell pepper, onions, water, cabbage, salt and ground black pepper.

2. Cover and cook on low setting for 8 hours.

This is a "country recipe", as in, you can use chicken if you ain't got squirrel.

M
JWH

Post by JWH »

Mackel in DFW wrote: Ingredients:

2 squirrels (skinned, gutted, and cut into pieces)
You must have some huge squirrels down there! :D I think it'd take 20 of our squirrels to make a meal. Lucky for them they leave my bamboo shoots alone! Have any recipes for slugs? :)
Mackel in DFW

Post by Mackel in DFW »

canadianplant

Post by canadianplant »

the thing with squirrels is that we can sit there and shoot them all day everyday and we wont even make a dent in the population. I see it as waisted energy and waisted ammo. I bet if you added up the time spent dealing with them and the cost of ammo traps and poison you could replace the damaged plants a few times over .

just a heads up too. theres enough sensitive people online (not me fyi) and posting dead animal pics is a sure way to start a manure storm. ive seen it happen.