Neighbors mites traveling

Controlling pests of bamboo

Moderator: needmore

dependable
Location info: 0

Re: Neighbors mites traveling

Post by dependable »

Has anyone tried the systemics like bayer tree and shrub? Is that similar to intercept? I know they contain neo-nicantanoids that are bad for bees and such, but I would likely use it judiciously to save my groves (who am I kidding, I would need a few hundred gallons).

Besides running low on space, one thing that has kept me from adding new species to collection is fear of introducing mites.
Van-isle-bamboo

Post by Van-isle-bamboo »

Yeah I agree on the no new introduction ovarieties because of possible might damage too. Recently anyway it seems I'm really cautious.
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

I'm fairly certain the Bayers Tree and Shrub contais imidichloprid - ie same as Intercept.

Yes this is the chemical recently banned in the EU as suspect in bee devastation. However as bamboos are non-flowering (as a rule) it should we safe to apply it to them. Hope I;m correct on that.
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
dependable

Post by dependable »

My understanding is also that the harm to bees is far less when these products are used on non flowering species. One of the worst is the merit grub control which transmits chemical into flowering lawn plants such as clover. Still, one has to wonder about long term effects. I let my Canadian hemlocks go rather than treat them annually for wooly algid.
johnw

Post by johnw »

Van-Isle - I'd take note of pokenei's suggestion. I'd try to be there when your neighbour cuts that bamboo down and take the tops away and burn them. I'd also give the root system a good drench - if he's willing - to get any subterranean mites that might be on the rhizome or in its sheaths.

My Surrey friend says the mites came from nowhere as he bought no bamboos, they must have come in on other plants he purchased in the west. We can only hope for your success.

Can it rain much more?
Van-isle-bamboo

Yeah there's sun sun sun in the forcast for us on the west coast. I live in Comox and the temps are going to get summer like..... I hope they just stay that way.
Van-isle-bamboo

Well the bamboo is a gonner! Thank god that the species was to invasive for him( trying to run into his pond liner) and he chopped it down! How nice is that now that I don't have to worry about it. Will the mite now die with no food source close by?
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Bees sometimes drink water from non flowering plants - such as rapid growing bamboo shoot that gets all wet when sun starts falling lower and it cools off a bit. If there's not enough water elsewhere, results can be devastating.
Van-isle-bamboo

So.......rrrrrrrrrrr! :twisted: mites have entered my fortress of bamboo. Super freaked and really I knew that it was inevitable. I have recently went to the neighbors and asked if I could spray there boos because now since I have a small mite situation starting. I purchased some avid and I gonna spray my groves tomorrow. I was advised to leg up all my bamboo to 3' and to collect and disposes of the leaf litter. 8 hrs of work and a 300 dollar price tag I now have a backpack sprayer and 4oz of avid. Super freaked and I'm glad that I can only see some spots on only a couple groves. Anyone have any suggestions? I was advised to Use 60ml for 100L and spray once a week for three weeks. At least my neighbors are gonna let me spray there's as well. Maybe this culdasac infestation can me eradicated. :evil:
JCPenney

Post by JCPenney »

Hi Van........any results yet ?
Van-isle-bamboo

Well it's hard to really know if I have eradicated the problem until the warm spring wether comes back and the summer dryness occurs. I was a little late in the season for spraying but better late then never I thought. I'm just hoping that there aren't any hiding buggers in the sheaths overwintering in my groves. I will do another round of applications in the spring I make sure the problem is gone
Van-isle-bamboo

I was checking out my boos this Christmas Eve and I noticed that some of my groves seem to be showing larger signs of mite damage. Is it possible that with my three applications of Avid and this wet winter weather that they could still be alive and feeding? They say that they don't feed in the winter but it seems odd to me that more damage is showing up. Could this be that the damage has taken this long to show up from before I had applied the Avid?

Whats peoples opinion on going hard at a horticultural spray this time of year ? Just for a little into on weather here, day time temps often reach 7-9C and average is more on the 7c. Night time temps are usually around 1-3c. I have already seen -12.4c and I hoping that's the last cold spurt.
johnw

Post by johnw »

I believe I read the leaf damage takes a very long time to show up - i.e. the rectangular white bits. What you might be looking at was done back in the summer.

Back in the days when we could spray I don't think I ever got rid of regular mites not matter what the spray until the humidity increased significantly.
Van-isle-bamboo

The verdict is out. I just went up to the local shoppers and bought a 7.5x magnifying glass and I can see some of the little buggers when I pull up the webbing! They are feeding in the winter here! I'm gonna have to get a more powerful pesticide or try the oil spray remedy. I'm super disappointed that the Avid never eradicated the infestation
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

You could just clear cut everything in the spring, and then spray tons of miticide over everything, but you may want to get your neighbor to do the same too for a better cause.

My moso bicolor which you've probably seen a lot of had mites when I got it which is one reason I had it potted up for a while, but I was able to eradicate it all with forbid miticide where I sprayed it once per week for a couple months to ensure every one in the growth cycle is gone because all it takes is 1 mite to repopulate. That's why it's crucial to keep on checking just in case 1 mite survives and turns into thousands within a few weeks.

If they are bamboo mites, they will almost always be underneath their nets. They are only maybe 2% the size of the spider mites you see on indoor plants, but they are clearly visible to the naked eye, at least for me.