Green June bugs (Cotinis nitida)

Controlling pests of bamboo

Moderator: needmore

jpluddite
Location info: 0

Green June bugs (Cotinis nitida)

Post by jpluddite »

Hi guys.

Do any of you have experience controlling green June bugs (Cotinis nitida); we seem to have a lot of them this year. They are hanging on the bamboo and the green giants. It's 11am and hot, and they're buzzing around.

I don't mind them, but I'm afraid that they're going to go after our fruits--tomatoes, raspberries, blackberries, etc.

I'l appreciate any suggestions.

jp
pokenei

Re: Green June bugs (Cotinis nitida)

Post by pokenei »

Yes, those beetles are have started to appear over here as well. I don't know if they like eating bamboo leaves, but I have seen a few resting on it. I take no chances, whenever I see one (within reach), I trap it in a jug. These bugs are really easy to catch. They don't usually fly away when disturbed, but just let themselves fall to the ground. I fill the jug with some soil so than when it fall into the jug, it wouldn't try to fly away but instead try to dig itself in and hide. Then I just let the sun bake it to death :lol:

Their favorite food is definitely grape leaves. Every year, I trapped and killed dozens. If uncontrolled, there will be more and more of them and my vines will be devastated.
jpluddite

Post by jpluddite »

Pokenei,

How did you trap them?
pokenei

Post by pokenei »

By trap, i mean catch them. you can use an empty candy jar or box that has a large opening. put some loose soil or grass clippings inside. then, place that jar beneath the beetle and shake the leaf a bit to make it fall into the jar. sometimes, there will be 4 or 5 beetles resting on the same leaf.

yesterday alone , i caught over a dozen :D
terrabamboo

Post by terrabamboo »

What do you guys think about using Merit 0.5 G Insecticide? I have just started seeing these critters here in central MS last week and wondered what they were! MERIT says to apply in late July....
Terra Bamboo
300 acre Bamboo Plantation Project
Focusing on Henon, Moso, Robert Young, Rubro, Vivax and Fargesia
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

For Japanese beetles I use a bucket of soapy water -- hold under the branch, tap the morning beetles, they all fall down to the ground as a defense mechanism, drown in the sudsy water.

This year very few of these beetles, unless they're just really late.
terrabamboo

Post by terrabamboo »

good tip, Alan.
Terra Bamboo
300 acre Bamboo Plantation Project
Focusing on Henon, Moso, Robert Young, Rubro, Vivax and Fargesia