big problem stem eaten away

Controlling pests of bamboo

Moderator: needmore

rush
Location info: 0

big problem stem eaten away

Post by rush »

I planted a Phyllostachys vivax last year in the ground . The bamboo was fine when first planted and it went though winter with snow . I covered with a flleece . The fleece has not been touching the bamboo stem or leaves. Spring has arrived and i took cover off and found that the whole stem has been like sliced in half . the stem just collapsed as the stem was not strong enough to hold the weight . so from top to bottom of ground the stem was rotted on one half , the roots have sunk to the ground but i have no visoble plant or any stems from soil surface . Can anyone think what might have happend . Do you think half the stem was eaten by something or the snow or heavy frost ate away it. Is it possible that it got cought some disease but if so why on just one side . Also do not know if any culms will re-appear again from the ground once it warms up more. Just hope shoots will come up . :(
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Re: big problem stem eaten away

Post by David »

Hello Rush,

Vivax is a fragile walled bamboo and does not bend well, so it's likely that it just broke. If you had the plant in the ground for several months before winter it should be just fine and send shoots up 3rd week in April (around here anyway).

Vivax should survive UK winters without any protection.

Regards,

David
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

mohsinj677 wrote:Several years ago we visited a fossil dig in Tennessee where they found Red Panda fossils. Seems that the Red Panda was at one time native to North America. They believe it fed on Arundinaria gigantea.
This posting looks very familiar! I posted this to another thread called "escaped panda" back on Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:21 am! This is suspicious!
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
johnw
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

foxd - That post has been deleted. Strange as it did not contain any links so wonder what the point was?

johnw - +4.5c and rain
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
foxd

Post by foxd »

johnw wrote:foxd - That post has been deleted. Strange as it did not contain any links so wonder what the point was?

johnw - +4.5c and rain
I think I figured it out. It may have been a test to see if a spambot would fool us by reposting messages that a real person had posted. This way it would sound like a real person and get through the defenses.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
foxd

Post by foxd »

After more research, mohsinj677 is indeed a spambot which has hit a large number of forums and posting one short message with spam links in the sig if it can. If not a repeated message shows up on the forum. There were about 138,000 results when I typed mohsin677 into Google.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.