Slugs

Controlling pests of bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Tarzanus
Location info: 0

Slugs

Post by Tarzanus »

I don't think picture needs an explanation. They are everywhere - all kinds and sizes.
dependable

Re: Slugs

Post by dependable »

Are the little blue things 'china berry' vine seeds, or slug bait of some kind? Where are the birds when you need them.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

This is some kind of iron based slug bait that kills them and doesn't harm other creatures. I did notice some minor slug damage and there were always a couple of them hiding under the mulch, but I had no idea... On several exposed places (near tall grass and perfect slug hideouts), they formed like 3 layers of dead snails/slugs. Bids don't eat them around here. I will have to get myself slug eating ducks to keep the place free of that slimy pest.

They managed to devastate my Arundo donax variegata (or is it peppermint stick - have no idea) completely. They never touched bamboo, but they seem to just love tender new Arundo shoots. And I've heard they are toxic and don't get bothered by pest.. Not really.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

I flicked one off the top of a bamboo shoot yesterday where it had drilled a hole and was happily feeding.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
dependable

Post by dependable »

There is an iron based product called 'sluggo' around here that works pretty well.
JCPenney

Post by JCPenney »

I bought some "Sluggo Plus" for our strawberries. It is iron plus Spinosad (which is a natural bacteria). Seems to work OK.