Bamboo Mites Video

Controlling pests of bamboo

Moderator: needmore

johnw
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Bamboo Mites Video

Post by johnw »

For those of you who have not seen the dreaded bamboo mite a forumist on the EBS has uploaded this youtube video.

You will note the web tent under which they live. I presume this almost impervious tent which repels sprays was opened up with a needle, otherwise the mites extent their "tent" further when they have destroyed the leaf parts beneath their webbing and so are safe all the time. No amount of pressured spray will destroy these web tents. Not sure what the magnification was but the mites are bigger than common red spider mites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XXhH2B143o#t=33

Anyone east of the rockies should think twice before importing bamboos from states west of the rockies where these mites are epidemic & a real menace.

Raining here and drop below freezing tonight. Snow cover is ample... :wink:
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
Van-isle-bamboo

Re: Bamboo Mites Video

Post by Van-isle-bamboo »

Man those little buggers piss me off!

It's a shame too seeing nursaries selling infected bamboos. It's important for people to isolate and destroy the infestations.
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

I just isolate any new bamboos I acquire for at least a season even if it doesn't look like there are mites just to be sure. We had a record low of-10f a few nights ago so it probably got too cold for mites anyways if not too cold for the boos too.

It is much easier to manage my collection by making sure no mites come in from the start.
johnw

Post by johnw »

Steve - Unfortunately as Dr. Steffen Greiner pointed out in his article bamboo mites are widespread in Hokkaido so they obviously can take any amount of cold.
steffen

Post by steffen »

Ferdinand Merz, the guy who took the video, also does (together with me) some experiments regarding frost tolerance of bamboo leaves. The mites (adults not eggs) definitely don't care of being frozen for about 1 day at -16°C (2F). We now go for deeper temperatures up to -24°C (-11F).
Regards, Steffen
johnw

Post by johnw »

Steffen - Do keep us informed on the results of your experiments. Given the very cold winter North America is experiencing your test results also on leaf hardiness will be of great interest to us. Comparison of those results with forumists results in the garden should be informative.