Alphabetical listing

Comments and Sugestions for the ABS Source list.
Mike McG
Location info: 71

Alphabetical listing

Post by Mike McG »

Bill,

A minor complaint about the alphabetically listing by species that you are probably already aware of. For example even though B. edulis became (?) B. odashimae it was left with the "E"s. Or should it be named B. edulis as indicated on page 4? The Flora of China lists it as B. odashimae. I'm confused by this.

Also group all the Bambusa spp. together. For example B. sp. 'Nana' is listed alphabetically (even though it maybe a multiplex) while B. sp. 'Clone X' is after B. tuldoides. Other changes in name such as 'Mutabilis' on the other hand were moved.

In any case, I would like to see the listing consistent with an alphabetically by the new name with an alphabetical listing in the front by the old name referring to the new name as I think is the intention.

Lastly, I think it is a mistake to use the name B. textilis 'Mutabilis' for a cv that was misidentified as B. mutabilis. There is apparently a true B. mutabilis on Hainan Island, although perhaps no longer in Puerto Rico or the US. This is like naming some of the B. tuldoides in TX as B. tuldoides 'textilis' because it was mistakenly sold as B. textilis or B. odashimae 'Oldhamii' because it was sold as B. oldhamii. The source list indicates it was previously misidentified as B. textilis var fusca but I do not see a description or even this name listed in the 2007 source list or some previous ones I checked? Somewhere along the way I missed the explanation of why this bamboo was not ''fusca'. Anyway just my two cents.

Mike near Brenham TX
Mike McG
Location info: 71

RE: Alphabetical listing

Post by Mike McG »

Bill,

Lest the post above comes across as too critical of any Source List editors past or present let me take this opportunity to thank them all for the effort put into this and for producing a very useful tool that I refer to frequently.

Mike near Brenham TX
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Re: Alphabetical listing

Post by Roy »

Mike McG wrote:Bill,

A minor complaint about the alphabetically listing by species that you are probably already aware of. For example even though B. edulis became (?) B. odashimae it was left with the "E"s. Or should it be named B. edulis as indicated on page 4? The Flora of China lists it as B. odashimae. I'm confused by this.
Since you mentioned it, the B. odashimae, formerly B. edulis, is supposed to grow 65 feet by 3 inches diameter. No where am I finding anyone in Texas or anywhere else that is getting this height and size. I think this is another one with an identity crisis. About 35 feet by 2 inches is what I'm hearing. Don't look at the image at Tropicalbamboo.org. That picture has a identity crisis itself.

Also group all the Bambusa spp. together. For example B. sp. 'Nana' is listed alphabetically (even though it maybe a multiplex) while B. sp. 'Clone X' is after B. tuldoides. Other changes in name such as 'Mutabilis' on the other hand were moved.
And since you brought this up also, I have seen references to B. sp. 'Nana' being maybe a multiplex, I see nothing in the pictures I seen that would indicate it is a B. multiplex. I would love to be able to see the backside of a leaf of the B. sp. 'Nana'. As far as the 'Clone X', I definitely think it should be moved away from B. tuldoides. I also believe that the B. tuldoides should be taken out of B. tuldoides ventricosa. B. tuldoides and B. ventricosa would be better than this B. tuldoides ventricosa mess. At least we would be consistent with the rest of the world. I believe in an opening statement in one or more or even the current Source List there was a paragraph about the Source List leading the world and rest of the world would follow (my paraphrasing). Well they were smart and didn't follow and now we have to do some backtracking.

In any case, I would like to see the listing consistent with an alphabetically by the new name with an alphabetical listing in the front by the old name referring to the new name as I think is the intention.

Lastly, I think it is a mistake to use the name B. textilis 'Mutabilis' for a cv that was misidentified as B. mutabilis. There is apparently a true B. mutabilis on Hainan Island, although perhaps no longer in Puerto Rico or the US.
And why this true B. mutabilis has never been imported into the USA beats the heck out of me. If it really grows upright at about 20 feet with 2 inch culms, then that would be another premier bamboo added to the USA. I think I could move a ton of it.

This is like naming some of the B. tuldoides in TX as B. tuldoides 'textilis' because it was mistakenly sold as B. textilis or B. odashimae 'Oldhamii' because it was sold as B. oldhamii. The source list indicates it was previously misidentified as B. textilis var fusca but I do not see a description or even this name listed in the 2007 source list or some previous ones I checked? Somewhere along the way I missed the explanation of why this bamboo was not ''fusca'. Anyway just my two cents.

Mike near Brenham TX
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
Chris S
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America
Location: SE UK 400ft Zone 8/7 Low usually 28F, -4C (-10, -12, -14, -1, -6C last 5); High 99F, 37C in 2019

RE: Alphabetical listing

Post by Chris S »

Changes to the Source List are not appreciated at all in some quarters, largely because people can't find bamboos in the List when the name changes too much. Thus names linger in the same place even if out of alphabetical order, and old misapplied names are kept as though they were cultivar names. It keeps the continuity for a while. If we get hammered for that well, you can't please all the people all the time.

B. odashimae's max dimensions will be downsized if someone seconds it - that is just the kind of information we want in this forum.

Re B. textilis var fusca here are my notes:
Higbie/Smith 26/11 "When Michael Gideon first brought this plant to my attention, he and I both felt that it was a B. textilis, but unique and special enough to acknowledge some sort of difference. He called it B. textilis fusca"
Saporito 27/11: "discount McClure's var fusca/fasca as it has hairy culm sheaths"

Re B nana that name when properly applied is just a synonym of B multiplex. However it has been misapplied to other bamboos, especially one in Thailand for which I believe there is currently no other name. Who knows what you've got growing under that name. Like pygmaea it will get put on anything small
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Re: RE: Alphabetical listing

Post by Roy »

Chris S wrote:...snip....

B. odashimae's max dimensions will be downsized if someone seconds it - that is just the kind of information we want in this forum.

...snip....
Chris,

The problem is that we are having problems with ID on this one (among several others).

First look at my post relating to B. cornigera by Dr. Soejatmi Dransfield:

http://bambooweb.info/bb/viewtopic.php?p=20391#20391

then look at these topics and posts:

http://bambooweb.info/bb/viewtopic.php?p=20740#20740
http://bambooweb.info/bb/viewtopic.php?p=20378#20378
http://bambooweb.info/bb/viewtopic.php?p=19915#19915
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST