D. Validus and D. Grandis

Comments and Sugestions for the ABS Source list.
boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

D. Validus and D. Grandis

Post by boonut »

How about adding Both Dendrocalamus Validus and Dendrocalamus Grandis. I have both. Both are really nice. They need to be on Bambooweb.info
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Re: D. Validus and D. Grandis

Post by Roy »

boonut wrote:How about adding Both Dendrocalamus Validus and Dendrocalamus Grandis. I have both. Both are really nice. They need to be on Bambooweb.info
Boonut,

On:

http://www.bambooweb.info/PicEntry.php#Plant

Select "Not Listed"

Then type in the name and then upload your pictures. I think that works.
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
mr.mike
Location info: 0

RE: D. Validus and D. Grandis

Post by mr.mike »

Well fellas, you may as well add; Dendrocalamus "Bali White - Stripe" & Dendrocalamus/Bambusa bicicatricata to the list. They are not listed on the Source list either but I'm pretty sure that they are "different" types of bamboo.
(thought I'd put in my 2 cents worth also).

Oh, Allen, Roy is correct about the "not listed" thingie!

Mike
boonut
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

I added one or two to the not listed, but that made it hard to find later. It would be nice to see it in the listed bamboo when you go to plants.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

Roy

Re: RE: D. Validus and D. Grandis

Post by Roy »

boonut wrote:I added one or two to the not listed, but that made it hard to find later. It would be nice to see it in the listed bamboo when you go to plants.
Boonut,

I think I missed a step. Since the listing now shows different colors for those in the USA and not on the Source List and etc, then I think Bill must have to manually make a place for it in the listing and also determine which category it should be in (using the color scheme).
Roy Rogers
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by bambooweb »

I have to go through the "not listed" list and create entries for them in the extended species list. I try to find a good description for the plant and get any growth data that is available. I also check for other names that the plant might be listed under.

If you have any data or description for a plant added to the "Not Listed" photos send me the info and I can get an enty created. Now that the site is working and I have DSL again I am trying to get caught up on the Auction Previews so I will be creating entries for any auction plants that do not have entries.

Bill
boonut

Post by boonut »

From Tropical Bamboo:

Dendrocalamus grandis-

Medium green culms with silky texture. Leaves feel almost plastic and are slightly glossy. A large timber bamboo that produces highly ornamental, edible shoots. Will grow to 60' tall with 4" diameter culms in Florida. Minimum temp 27 degrees F.

Dendrocalamus validus

Tall, erect culms. Convex joint with internode slightly contracted inward. Will grow to at least 45' tall with 4" diameter culms in South Florida. Minimum temp. is unknown. No problems at 31 degrees F.

From Bamboo at Bountiful Earth:

Dendrocalamus 'validus-

45 ft tall
4 in diameter

Extremely fast growing. Orange colored culm sheaths in beautiful contrast to green canes. Lower third branchless. A beautiful and unique looking bamboo. Long branches need plenty of room.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

mike best

Post by mike best »

"Long branches need plenty of room."!!! Oh no! My Validus is exactly 15 feet from my Bambusa 'Hirose'. Dang is this gona be a problem?
Mike Best
boonut

Post by boonut »

Is your Hirose different than your Oldhamii? and if so, in what ways.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

mike best

Post by mike best »

So far Hirose is only about 7 feet tall and I have not noticed any differences at first glance, but then again I have not yet taken a close look and seriously compared it to my Oldhamii. Wonder if it will grow like those in the HI. islands.
Mike Best
Roy

Re: RE: D. Validus and D. Grandis

Post by Roy »

mike best wrote:So far Hirose is only about 7 feet tall and I have not noticed any differences at first glance, but then again I have not yet taken a close look and seriously compared it to my Oldhamii. Wonder if it will grow like those in the HI. islands.

There is good bit of divided opinion on this one. I thought about growing it to full size to see how it compares to my oldhamii, but a lot of people say my oldhamii looks different from their oldhamii. Plus I dont have 5 years of growth time I want to spend just to test it out.

Roy Rogers
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by bambooweb »

I have been adding some of the "Not Listed" species to the extended list and I have found that in the Flora of China D. validus is listed as Bambusa valida.

Also this fall Dr. Elizabeth Widjaja found D. validus misidentified as Bambusa bicicatricata when she checked the IDs of bamboos in California. There should be an article with her findings in a future issue of BAMBOO.

Bill