SOURCE LIST 28 INTRO

Comments and Sugestions for the ABS Source list.
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

SOURCE LIST 28 INTRO

Post by bambooweb »

Ted Jordan Meredith has finished a draft for the 2008 intro and The word document is at
http://www.bambooweb.info/images/photos ... %201_3.doc

I will be presenting it to the ABS board at the meeting but we can take comments here.

Bill
Last edited by bambooweb on Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Markj
Location info: 0

RE: SOURCE LIST 28 INTRO

Post by Markj »

No luck with that link Bill, I'll double check my end :?
Bamboo...Please note... This plant is seriously addictive and you may lose interest in other, less rewarding plants!
bambooweb
Site Admin

Post by bambooweb »

I found the problem I missed a slash and I also replaced the spaces.

Bill
needmore

Post by needmore »

Maybe this isn't the year to deal with it but...minimum temperature being 'defined as the onset of leaf damage at brief exposures' if taken as defined in the introduction would be incorrect for a number of Phyllostachys, sometimes by as much as 10 degrees. I would be happy to share my observations/estimated revisions as input for consideration for modificaton to the species tables.

I would almost suggest that based on what I see the listed temperatures are more accurately 'the point at which serious culm damage occurs at brief exposures'. However I acknowledge that I do not have any mature groves yet so my observations may be incorrect as well. This begs the question I've asked before, where did these ratings come from? Actual experience from mature groves in zone 6 or colder, or estimates based on point on species origin? My preference would be to list conservative temperature estimates so that someone may be pleasantly surprised if the bamboo survives lower temps.

Personally, I would not list a single Phyllostachys as immune to any leaf damage at temps below 0F. The hardiest of the hardy are going to burn at around 0F so as defining Atrovaginata & Bissetii as hardy to -15F, Aureosulcata to -10F etc is grossly overstating I beleve.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Post by Roy »

Bill,

I've looked it over and have typed in some corrections I think might need to be looked at. Mostly just typos and subject verb agreement may or may not be right. Remember that English is my 2nd language; Southern American being my first. :lol:

I'll email the Word document back to you.
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
bambooweb
Site Admin

Post by bambooweb »

Roy,
I got it and forwarded it to Ted.

Brad,
I don't agree with a lot of the low temps ether. That is going to take some work to get everything on the same standard.
We also have the problem of deciduous bamboos. What do you think of using "D" for deciduous?

Bill
needmore

Post by needmore »

You could put the 'D' next to the temperature ratings on many Phyllostachys to imply that they are deciduous at those cold lows!

Seriously though giving subzero tolerances before leaf damage is mis-leading and we could fix several pretty easily or as I said merely change leaf damage to serious culm damage and it would be way more accurate.
bambooweb
Site Admin

Post by bambooweb »

Good point but I still think that even with that change there are some values that need corrected. For instance the Nudas that I have are nowhere near as hardy as Rubro or Bissetii.
I see Monrovia lists P. nigra as a zone 5 plant. I wonder how many people in zone 5 plant it and expect black culms?

Bill
rfgpitt
Location info: 24

Post by rfgpitt »

Newbies don't have a chance with the current system (I was one recently). It really is disappointing to grow these as perennials when the list makes it seem like there should be no problem. A lot of people that don't get the "fever" quick enough may stop trying too soon.

(this rant is more geared toward zones 5/6 plants)
Rick
bambooweb
Site Admin

Post by bambooweb »

The latest draft has been put in the first post. :thumbright: Thanks Roy :thumbleft:

I will keep any revisions in the first post so it is easy to find.

Bill
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Re: RE: SOURCE LIST 28 INTRO

Post by Roy »

bambooweb wrote:The latest draft has been put in the first post. :thumbright: Thanks Roy :thumbleft:

I will keep any revisions in the first post so it is easy to find.

Bill
Bill,

I'm going to send the 2nd revision back to you. I have 2 things in question. I have marked them in red.

For those of you who have never been able to have any input on the Source List, then this is a golden opportunity. I've been a ABS member since the early 1980's and this is a first for me. It takes many eyes to catch little mistakes, so look over these pages and see if you see anything you think needs to be changed or corrected. I understand that just because I think something ought to be another way, doesn't mean that it has to be my way, but at least I had some input.

If you don't have Word and can't open the document, just email me and I will make you a pdf copy and send to you.
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
needmore

Post by needmore »

Bill, who would have to be involved in a discussion about altering temperature ratings before this goes to the printer?
foxd
Location info: 21

Post by foxd »

Under English Names, shouldn't "Arundinaria gigantea subsp. tecta" be changed to "Arundinaria tecta"? And shouldn't it be added to to Former and Current Names?
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
bambooweb
Site Admin

Post by bambooweb »

Dan,
That should be changed in the next species list. The synonym list also needs a number of additions such as the F. d. 'Rufa' changes.

Brad,
Chris and Ted will also need to be in on any discussions on changing the ratings. We will have to get to it after the convention when we can concentrate on it.

Bill