Melocanna baccifera

Comments and Sugestions for the ABS Source list.
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Melocanna baccifera

Post by foxd »

After much searching, Melocanna baccifera appears to be no longer available in the U.S.

Flowered, dead and gone. :cry:
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
svendrix
Location info: 25

USDA Zone 6B (possibly 7A/7B/8A depending on who you ask around here, so I am sticking with the most conservative estimate for now)

Elevation 700 feet
Constant winds (10-20 MPH)

RE: Melocanna baccifera

Post by svendrix »

Wow, I hadn't heard of that one (and probably about 1200 others for that matter)!

I found some cool links (and some other websites to devour later!):

Some info on the situation (from the perspective of India), including a pic of the bamboo, as well as the fruit that develops when it flowers!
http://www.bambootech.org/subsubTOP.asp ... ame=BAMBOO

This one has pics of someone who took the fruit and germinated it, with some pics over time afterwards.
http://www.bamboocraft.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1487

Is anyone aware of any other bamboos that develop large fruit like this? I've never heard of that before!

---Sven
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1

Post by bambooweb »

I think there are some plants in Hawaii but I don't know if there are any for sale. You might check with Quindembo.

Bill
foxd

Re: RE: Melocanna baccifera

Post by foxd »

bambooweb wrote:I think there are some plants in Hawaii but I don't know if there are any for sale. You might check with Quindembo.

Bill
Did so already. They don't have any. :cry:
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Post by Roy »

svendrix wrote:Wow, I hadn't heard of that one (and probably about 1200 others for that matter)!

I found some cool links (and some other websites to devour later!):

Some info on the situation (from the perspective of India), including a pic of the bamboo, as well as the fruit that develops when it flowers!
http://www.bambootech.org/subsubTOP.asp ... ame=BAMBOO

---Sven
The above web page says:
Melocanna baccifera is a thin-walled, small diameter and non-clump forming bamboo.
But ABS Source List shows: 60 feet by 3 inches.

Vast difference.

One other thing from the site above:
non-clump forming bamboo
A non-clump bamboo, but still a tropical bamboo. (non-clump, but not a temperate bamboo) Similar to Guadua Angustifolia:
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
foxd

Post by foxd »

The species list does list it as clumping.

There does seem to have been a major flowering of M. baccifera the past few years. I've read about it flowering in Brazil and India, and the one source I talked to said his flowered and died. He had tried to germinate the seeds, but had been unsuccessful.

Somehow this species needs to be reintroduced to this country. It is just so neat and to not have it available is a shame.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Post by Roy »

foxd wrote:The species list does list it as clumping.

There does seem to have been a major flowering of M. baccifera the past few years. I've read about it flowering in Brazil and India, and the one source I talked to said his flowered and died. He had tried to germinate the seeds, but had been unsuccessful.

Somehow this species needs to be reintroduced to this country. It is just so neat and to not have it available is a shame.
I think there are several problems with it. One is that it can only be grown in a very limited area of the USA. In the areas that it can be grown, it a very, very open clumping bamboo and it would be competing with the more traditional close clumping tropical bamboos. The word "exotic" would probably best describe it in the tropical bamboo world. Perhaps "novelty" also would fit.
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
foxd

Post by foxd »

I may find out, there was a illegible Fedex notice on my door at noon today. I considered several possibilities as to what it could be, but I have narrowed it down to either a Melocanna baccifera or a monkey.

Stay tuned...
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

svendrix
Location info: 25

USDA Zone 6B (possibly 7A/7B/8A depending on who you ask around here, so I am sticking with the most conservative estimate for now)

Elevation 700 feet
Constant winds (10-20 MPH)

Post by svendrix »

I'm voting for the monkey personally!!! :D

---Sven
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Post by ghmerrill »

Be carefull Foxd, if its a monkey, they expect you to wait on them hand and foot!

at least the bamboo you can put outside and deal with it when you feel like it!
:lol:

Gene
foxd

Post by foxd »

ghmerrill wrote:at least the bamboo you can put outside and deal with it when you feel like it!
:lol:

Gene
Not and have it survive. It is snowing and the M. baccifera is a tropical bamboo that arrived bare rooted. It is now in two pots. I am going to keep them in the kitchen, since it is warmer there. Hopefully they will show some sign of life soon.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

foxd

Post by foxd »

After posting all this I finally got around to checking today's installment of a web comic I read. Kind of a freaky coincidence!

Ask Dr. Eldritch

BTW, the package was not from Bill Gates. :?
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

I seem to remember that the USDA station in Puerto Rico has Melocanna Baccifera. The person in charge of bamboo at their office is a Dr. Brian Irish. Richard Waldron and I used to talk about visiting their station and staying in a bamboo house up in the rainforest on the Island.

I always wanted one of those because of the "nut"... I figured it was as close as I would get to a Boo Nut.

If you get one started, I would sure like to get a piece of it somewhere down the road. I have had a few shipped, but none made it. Primarily because of the washing and bare root.

Good luck with your boo :)
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
foxd

Post by foxd »

boonut wrote:If you get one started, I would sure like to get a piece of it somewhere down the road. I have had a few shipped, but none made it. Primarily because of the washing and bare root.

Good luck with your boo :)
Mine was also washed and bare root, but I potted it as quickly as I could. Unfortunately, since I didn't know it was coming, I couldn't be there waiting. If I could have, I would have been able to cut at least seven hours off the time it was bare rooted.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

foxd

Post by foxd »

An update:

One of the potted root balls has put up three shoots. A hopeful sign! Hmmm...perhaps I'd better post some pictures of Melocanna baccifera shoots!

Definitely a clumper! Probably an open clumper!
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.