Numbering system

Moderator: needmore

Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Numbering system

Post by Roy »

Bill,

Is there any way that you can have each post have a number? Or perhaps each thread have posts within the thread have a number. It's hard to keep track of some of the posts without some sort of a numbering system.

Any ideas or is it an impossible task?
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

RE: Numbering system

Post by bambooweb »

Roy,
I will look at what it will take to display the post number. currently to find a post number you have to show a persons profile then find all posts by that person then select the post.
For instance the post I am replying to is #12590
http://www.bambooweb.info/bb/viewtopic. ... ght=#12590

Bill
mantis
Location info: 22

Post by mantis »

Should be in the vb software as an option... I know it is a different animal than the other forum that I'm on, but for an example you can check it out...

edit: I should mention that the following forum is not completely work safe (swearing is not discouraged, so it would not be wise to browse the forum if you are at work)

Example thread:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=529234

You can see in the upper right hand corner of each post is a number of the post within that thread. If you click on that number it will show just that post. So if you want to direct someone to a specific post you can send them the link to that specific post. For example:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showpost ... stcount=15

I'm not sure if that is what Roy is asking for, but I know that is an available option.

-mike.
Roy

Re: RE: Numbering system

Post by Roy »

mantis wrote:Should be in the vb software as an option... I know it is a different animal than the other forum that I'm on, but for an example you can check it out...

Example thread:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=529234

You can see in the upper right hand corner of each post is a number of the post within that thread. If you click on that number it will show just that post. So if you want to direct someone to a specific post you can send them the link to that specific post. For example:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showpost ... stcount=15

I'm not sure if that is what Roy is asking for, but I know that is an available option.

-mike.
Yelp! That's what I'm thinking of. Some of the forums I visit have some type of numbering system and it makes it easier to keep track of the posts and also for referring other to the post. Thanks Mike.
Roy Rogers
mantis
Location info: 22

Post by mantis »

Roy wrote:
Yelp! That's what I'm thinking of. Some of the forums I visit have some type of numbering system and it makes it easier to keep track of the posts and also for referring other to the post. Thanks Mike.
Roy, it appears that there is a numbering system in place, but it takes a little bit of work to figure it out.

For example:

http://www.bambooweb.info/bb/viewtopic. ... c&start=51

So, you can view a thread starting at a specific post, but I'm not sure how to display only that post. If you play around with the above link by changing the start= number at the end you'll see what I'm talking about.

-mike.
Roy

Post by Roy »

mantis wrote:
Roy wrote:
Roy, it appears that there is a numbering system in place, but it takes a little bit of work to figure it out.

For example:

http://www.bambooweb.info/bb/viewtopic. ... c&start=51

So, you can view a thread starting at a specific post, but I'm not sure how to display only that post. If you play around with the above link by changing the start= number at the end you'll see what I'm talking about.

-mike.
Mike,

You can go to the specific post and have it appear on your monitor with other posts in the thread attached above and below. But how do you make it simple and easy to get the specific link without doing a workaround. Also, if each post was assigned a visual number, then that would also be better.

I do see that each post is getting a specific number, but I'm not sure how the assignment process is working. You change one number and you go to another topic, not the next post in the thread. We have a little over 12,000 posts, but the numbering system is above that number on the link you posted.
Roy Rogers
bambooweb
Site Admin

Post by bambooweb »

Roy,
Where did I put that instruction manual? :?
:lol:
To get the post number and the link to the post click on the icon that looks like a sheet of paper in the line on the top of the post. It is before the Posted Date.
I will add the post nymber to the "Alt" field so it shows up on some browsers when you hover your mouse over the icon.

Bill
Roy

Post by Roy »

bambooweb wrote:Roy,
Where did I put that instruction manual? :?
:lol:
To get the post number and the link to the post click on the icon that looks like a sheet of paper in the line on the top of the post. It is before the Posted Date.
I will add the post nymber to the "Alt" field so it shows up on some browsers when you hover your mouse over the icon.

Bill
Was the "Post" sign there before and I just didn't see or know what it was there for? :oops:

You have the hover bird in effect already. :) Well at least on my Firefox it displays.
Roy Rogers
bambooweb
Site Admin

Post by bambooweb »

The icon and link has always been there. I added the Post number to the hover text.

Bill