Suggestion for user preferences...

Moderator: needmore

mantis
Location info: 22

Suggestion for user preferences...

Post by mantis »

I'm on a few bulletin boards, and most of them allow the user to select the number of posts per page that they see when they view a thread. I typically set the number to 50 posts per page, so I can just keep reading and don't have to turn the page that often.

Is that a user option that can be activated on Bambooweb?

Thanks,
mike. :)
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

RE: Suggestion for user preferences...

Post by bambooweb »

I'll check if there are any mods for that. The default program only has one setting for everyone. I did change it to 25.

Bill
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Re: Suggestion for user preferences...

Post by Roy »

mantis wrote:I'm on a few bulletin boards, and most of them allow the user to select the number of posts per page that they see when they view a thread. I typically set the number to 50 posts per page, so I can just keep reading and don't have to turn the page that often.

Is that a user option that can be activated on Bambooweb?

Thanks,
mike. :)
I would like to have more posts per page, but I wonder about members without high speed connections. I have Road Runner cable connection, but even so, when there are a lot of images in the thread, then sometimes it 5 or 6 seconds before the whole 25 posts load.

As you say, if we could have a default and the individual members could set their own to more or less posts, then that would be great.
Last edited by Roy on Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
marcat
Location info: 28

Post by marcat »

There are allot of people that are restricted to dial up out there. When there is a lot of images on my home computer it takes 4 to 5 minutes to load. So if it is an option great but please do not increase it with out letting the poor dial uppers have the ability to participate.
MarCat
bambooweb
Site Admin

Post by bambooweb »

You can now select the number of posts and topics you would like to see.
Go to Your Profile and there are entries to change posts and topics.

Bill
needmore
Location info: 0

Post by needmore »

Bill, as I recall you had opted for satellite internet - if so, how has this worked out and any tips? It looks like there will be no other high speed options for me for the next several years but in addition to extreme cost, my concern on satellite is if crapping out as often as my TV dish does in medium rains. Our posts here with multiple images on a page are slow enough to make my eye twitch...but I do enjoy the photos, its great when I'm in Honolulu with high speed and then the slowdown back home :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
mantis
Location info: 22

Re: RE: Suggestion for user preferences...

Post by mantis »

bambooweb wrote:You can now select the number of posts and topics you would like to see.
Go to Your Profile and there are entries to change posts and topics.

Bill
Thanks! Set at 500 posts/page. 8)
bambooweb
Site Admin

Post by bambooweb »

Brad,
I got DSL yesterday :wav: Twice the speed and $30 less per month. :D
It actually became available here a year ago but I had just upgraded my Satellite and this Month was the first time I could switch without a penalty.

Satellite is good if it is your only option.

Signal loss if snow sticks to the dish. I have my dish on a 6' tall pole and I can use a mop to remove the snow. I do not know how trees would interfere with the signal. I have also lost signal when there has been "Large" electrical storms here or at the Satellite downlink in Virginia.
Here I would say that the dish is as reliable as the power company.

VPN is so slow it is unusable. The delay in the signal is so bad that dialup is faster. If you do not use VPN you won't notice it.

I have heard that games are to slow to play.

Some flash videos will not work. It is only on some sites but both Macromedia and Hughes have known about it for over a year and have just blame the other one. The one site that I visit that had this problem has switched to windows video which does works.

The Forums on http://www.dslreports.com/ and www.copperhead.cc also have a lot of information and contacts

My parents have a WildBlue system but it stinks :x It is slow and the company that set it up configured it so their two computers are on different subnets and they can use the satellite but the computers can not see each other on the network.

If you would like to switch I now have the hardware that I do not have a use for. :wink: An advantage to used hardware is you do not have to wait 15 months before you can cancel without a penalty. You will be required to have an installer for the setup but you can find one at dslreports or copperhead.
Note: I have both the DW6000 and DW7000. The 7000 is faster and costs more.

Bill
marcat

Post by marcat »

Thanks for make it an option Bill. I am hopeing to be able to go on a wide band system soon but I ain't holding my breath. It is some sort of line of sight signal and I can't find any information on how well it works.
MarCat
needmore

Re: RE: Suggestion for user preferences...

Post by needmore »

bambooweb wrote: Satellite is good if it is your only option.

Signal loss if snow sticks to the dish. I have my dish on a 6' tall pole and I can use a mop to remove the snow. I do not know how trees would interfere with the signal. I have also lost signal when there has been "Large" electrical storms here or at the Satellite downlink in Virginia.
Here I would say that the dish is as reliable as the power company.

VPN is so slow it is unusable. The delay in the signal is so bad that dialup is faster. If you do not use VPN you won't notice it.

If you would like to switch I now have the hardware that I do not have a use for. :wink: An advantage to used hardware is you do not have to wait 15 months before you can cancel without a penalty. You will be required to have an installer for the setup but you can find one at dslreports or copperhead.
Note: I have both the DW6000 and DW7000. The 7000 is faster and costs more.

Bill

I'm afraid that my home site would only exacerbate the inherent problems. We lose our TV signal in a medium rain and the dish is mounted on an 8 foot pole on the highest point of the roof. It has to be re-positioned generally every year at some point due to winds. If you would have sang the praises I might consider it but it sounds mighty iffy. Our electric coop is conducting experimental high speed testing through the power lines but they said 5 years or more - if they work out the bugs.

I may shorten my posts per page, thanks for the option.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Bamboo Outlaw
Location: We are less than one hour south of downtown Houston. We are located in Wild Peach, Texas located half way between Brazoria and West Columbia. Exit hwy 36 onto County Road 354. Take County Road 353 west . Go approximately 2.4 miles. We are on the left.

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

Still on dial-up here too. The sat TV goes out with very minimal rain even with the signal strength and position correct. Cable internet is available but expensive. I also hate the idea of changing e-mail addresses after many years. Great option on number of pages, but over 25 would wipe me out with pics on them at this speed!
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo
http://www.carterbamboo.com

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
marcat

Post by marcat »

That Wide band I mentioned is through our Electric Coop it is a nonprofit research thingy. It is useing my present ISP to operate it so I will not have to change E-mail addresses. Going to cost about $20 more a month after taking into acount reducing the phone lines coming to the house. Sounds good but am still not up on how well it actually works.
MarCat