We need a topic on the board index for eating this stuff

Moderator: needmore

Would you like a 'Culinary bamboo' section?

Poll ended at Wed May 22, 2013 1:45 am

Yes, I am hungry thinking about it.
100%
No, It is a waste of space.
No votes
Only if you prepare it and share with the webmasters.
No votes

Total votes: 3

dgoddard
Location info: 0

We need a topic on the board index for eating this stuff

Post by dgoddard »

When my yellow groove starts shooting in the spring, one of the things that we do is to start eating some of the excess. I just had some this morning in my breakfast hash. However I do not assume that I know all that is useful to know about recipes and handling of the edible portions of bamboo, in fact I believer that I know very little about this aspect. My Thai neighbor says that our bamboo is much tastier and not at all bitter like the clumping bamboo she has, which prompts questions as to:
-- which varieties are tastier,
-- how should it be harvested,
--how can it be stored,
-- is there any way to get edible bamboo other than the shoots that come up in the spring,
-- etc. etc.

I did a search of this site and found little to nothing about eating bamboo. I would think I could sell it at the local farmer's market or the health food store, but I would want to have recipes for it and some nutritional information before trying that. Needless to say this is perhaps a valuable way to find and support a whole new group of bamboo lovers.
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: We need a topic on the board index for eating this stuff

Post by bambooweb »

I have added a poll to your post.
Personally anyone that has seen me knows that I like food so I am in favor of it.

Daphne Lewis has cooking information and videos on her site http://bamboofarmingusa.com

Bill