Air layering phyllstachys Dulcis

Document your results with different mulches, seeds, mutations, TC or other experiments.

Moderators: needmore, David

bamboothew
Location info: 0

Re: Air layering phyllstachys Dulcis

Post by bamboothew »

millerlightman02 wrote:Steve i think what everyone is to polite to say but im not is, that you don't have a clue what your doing , your ripping people off with sub-par boo that most likely dies,and your in it to make a quick buck.
That was an awefully harsh comment. Is Steve dividing his plants too early? Spreading sub-par boo around? Does he know what he is doing? Maybe and maybe not, I don't know, as I suspect that I am quite a few years from expert bamboo grower status, so I will leave that discussion to the ones here who would know much better than I. However, I know that if you had ever traded with/bought from Steve you would know that he spreads the boo around primarily because he loves the boo and loves getting it into others' hands. He sells the plants ridiculously cheap, practically gives them away in many cases, especially to forum members, and I am sure there are many here who could testify to that. Just my $0.02 on his motives. I'll save my $0.02 concerning his methods and the results of them for sometime 2 or 3 years from now when I see what his plants are doing in my yard :)
God Bless,

Matthew

===============================

Genesis 2:8 And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there He put the man whom He had formed.
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

I was just wondering, is there any chance that moso can be air-layered while shoots are still barely forming? I've never seen this species produce rhizomes off the base of a culm aside from that of a brand new seedling with it's initial culm. Maybe I'll just wait for a whip shoot instead.

The only reason I suspected this would work on dulcis is because I've seen shoots form off of the base of a culm before, and air roots also tend to appear on the lower internodes which makes the lowest internodes of a new shoot similar to a rhizome.

I purposely grew a dulcis rhizome close to the surface last year so I could get some nice small divisions which won't take away that much energy from the grove when I sever the connection. I prefer forcing the shoots on these divisions to be smaller so the anchor roots won't dry out the pots that quickly, and I won't have to dwarf or top them if I want to ship these divisions.

I just thought up of one drawback to doing this with dwarfed shoots. Even if they get well established in their pots this season, they might not have enough energy to produce rhizomes until next year, and it might not be until 2014 before shoots actually emerge since dulcis seems to require a lot of energy to put out just 1 shoot.
Ophiuchus
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by Ophiuchus »

Please Steve, an update of your propagation techniques.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

These are running bamboos, Phyllostachys to be exact. I don't think there were any good results regarding this experiment, but I guess he can tell you first hand.
Ophiuchus
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by Ophiuchus »

I promise to report the results of my experiment good or bad. I hope I'm right and can propagate from the branches, this is the quandary and one worthy of sharing.

After masterminding my own DIY air layering technique, this product is exactly what I had in mind to have any chance of being successful and the price seems reasonable for a reusable product. http://airpropagator.com/buy_online.php Of course if it works with bamboo remains to be seen.