Charleston, SC experiment with tropical bamboo

Document your results with different mulches, seeds, mutations, TC or other experiments.

Moderators: needmore, David

erm1981
Location info: 0

Re: Charleston, SC experiment with tropical bamboo

Post by erm1981 »

Where are you at in Florida? Jacksonville is similar weather to Charleston. Our winter last year was the coldest we have had in 20 years in Charleston.
I_am_Ian

Post by I_am_Ian »

How do your tropicals look now? The winter we had here in California was not bad except for one week when the temps got into the 20's several nights in a row. It was under 32 some nights as soon as the sun set. Never had such cold weather here since 1990.

I removed all of my least hardiest and replaced them with various bambusas. They're all dead looking and only the dendrocalamus Giganteus and the Golden Hawaiian have shown any signs of life. The Oldhamiis have all recovered nicely but I'll no longer plant any bamboo less hardy than them. Doesn't seem worth having sad looking bamboo so many months.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Unbelieveable how well tropical bamboos tolerate heat (no manure Sherlock). I have small - poor division that arrived almost completely dried out from China. It started with practically no roots and I've only kept it shaded for less than a month, after that, it (Bambusa ventricosa) loved to be superheated on full sun and despite being in small container, it looks great. Actually, I've even noticed it's first shoot today. Not hardy enough to grow it outside around here, but it looks to be ideal for sun exposed balcony or terrace.

It does dry out fast though... I think it will need automatic watering system, because in this container, it already needs to be watered daily, with new shoot(s), it will most likely suck all the water out of the soil before noon. :mrgreen:
erm1981

Post by erm1981 »

I_am_Ian wrote:How do your tropicals look now? The winter we had here in California was not bad except for one week when the temps got into the 20's several nights in a row. It was under 32 some nights as soon as the sun set. Never had such cold weather here since 1990.

I removed all of my least hardiest and replaced them with various bambusas. They're all dead looking and only the dendrocalamus Giganteus and the Golden Hawaiian have shown any signs of life. The Oldhamiis have all recovered nicely but I'll no longer plant any bamboo less hardy than them. Doesn't seem worth having sad looking bamboo so many months.
Bambusa Textilis Kanapha did the best along with Alphonse Karr

Dendrocalamus 'Parker Giant" and the Bambusa "Oldhamii" got burned pretty bad even this year. the Parker Giant has made a 2" wide shoot the past 2 years but the 20's kill it down to ground again. Maybe near the tree line it could survive better and avoid frost?
I_am_Ian

Post by I_am_Ian »

Erm, how has this winter been treating your tropicals? Got any updated pics?
Cooper12
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by Cooper12 »

I_am I_am where are you located here in Norcal?
I am up east of Placerville about 3400 ft Elevation.

None of the Bambusa seem to particularly like it up at my place.
down the road my friend has some nice Oldhamii and Textilis on the lower end of Placerville Alphonse Karr may do ok.
May get one from the Nursery I work at and give it a try
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
I_am_Ian

Post by I_am_Ian »

I am in Pittsburg, zone 9B, though we got some 9A temps (21F) back in Dec 2013 which beat up my Oldhamii although they've all recovered well. My Alphonse Karr and Multiplex Silverstripe were unfazed by it. As was my young textilis Kanapaha.

I'd say any of those three might have a decent shot up where you are. Of course try and get a mature plant if possible so it can rebound from any cold winters better.
Cooper12
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by Cooper12 »

I_am_Ian wrote:I am in Pittsburg, zone 9B, though we got some 9A temps (21F) back in Dec 2013 which beat up my Oldhamii although they've all recovered well. My Alphonse Karr and Multiplex Silverstripe were unfazed by it. As was my young textilis Kanapaha.

I'd say any of those three might have a decent shot up where you are. Of course try and get a mature plant if possible so it can rebound from any cold winters better.
problem here is late and early frosts alphonse kart lives but doesn't look great. as far as minimums we are a 8 but as far as last and first frosts no as it can freeze easily mid to end of october thru May. the runners only run where irrigated up here really so dry in the summer. of course they can run too. i don't care.

December of 2013 we had 2 days where it was 14 at night and December of 09 was 6 up on the ridge here. of course that was unusual
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
hydroid

Post by hydroid »

Thanks for the post. I live on the Gulf Coast zone 8b or 9a and we've had 2 cold winters. My hirose looks pretty bad, but my Kanapaha and chungii is OK.
I_am_Ian

Post by I_am_Ian »

Hydroid, what's the history of your tropicals? Been in the ground long? Any pics? I have all the ones you do but I'm in a solid 9A zone in northern California.