foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

RE: 2008 ABS Annual Meeting

Post by foxd »

Then again, some on-line bids lost. :cry:
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Post by ghmerrill »

(sigh) and of course when I checked the online results bill posted.... the plant I bid on had no one listed next to it, so still unknown.....
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1

Post by bambooweb »

I posted the auction results that I have at: http://absauction.bambooweb.info/preview.php? and I just found out my fax machine is out of ink and I do not have a spare so I will get a new one tomorrow so I can receive the info and I can start sending out bills and shipping information.

It was a busy week. On Wednesday Ned Jaquith, Ian Connor, James Clever and I from the northwest met at the airport along with Kim Higbe and Paul Smith from Hawai'i so we shared a taxi to the hotel where we met up with others for lunch then we went to the zoo where they were setting up for the conference and I was scheduled to meet with the zoos IT person but they had a problem with the gorillas so I had to meet with him on Thursday. (What Gorillas have to do with IT I still don't know.) That night a number of us went to Rosy Ross's to stuff the conference handbags, drink beer and eat dinner.

After the board meeting on Thursday about 20 of us went to dinner and talked about bamboo and drank beer late into the evening.

The conference started on Friday with a number of good presentations including one by Jimmy Triplett about using DNA fingerprinting to look at the relationships between plants. He has not published his results yet but when he does 4 genuses will need to be renamed because they are actually hybrids and not separate genuses. Two other genuses will need to have their plants separated because even though the plants put into those genuses are similar looking they are not closely related genetically. Remember when plant names change in the species list it is not my fault! :P
We had an evening reception after the presentations that lasted until they kicked us out. After the reception about a dozen of us went to China Town for dinner until they closed the restaurant and kicked us out. On the way back some of us stopped in at an Irish pub for a pint until they closed and we had to head back to the hotel.

On Saturday I was mostly running around doing auction stuff and trying to watch the presentations.

The dinner on Saturday was great. It was raining at the start of the cruise but it cleared up later and people could hang out above deck. After the cruise about a dozen of us went to Rosy Ross's and had some wine and talked about bamboo till about midnight.

I never did make it into the Zoo but I was told they had some bamboo planted.

In all it was a great time and when you go to one plan on hanging out with other people there and you should be able to talk about bamboo, the ABS and bamboo people from 7AM till midnight or later each day.

For some reason I am sore and tired. :lol:

Bill
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

C'mon Bill.... an IT guy like you gets his faxes on PAPER??????

:lol:
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1

Re: RE: 2008 ABS Annual Meeting

Post by bambooweb »

ghmerrill wrote:C'mon Bill.... an IT guy like you gets his faxes on PAPER??????

:lol:
Yep I don't even have a dedicated fax line anymore. :D
For the 4 faxes that I receive a year I did not figure adding a fax service to my computer was worth it.

Bill
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

:lol: if it would get the results up faster, you can have it faxed it to me, then I will email to you :lol:

net result: you have something to do this evening, the results get up faster, and you save gas and expense of a new cartridge that will be obsolete before you use it up! :shock:
bepah
Location info: 36
Location: Brentwood CA The rumor is that we are 9b...I think 10a

SF Zoo bamboos

Post by bepah »

All,

I took a lot of photos at the zoo. However, the number of different bamboos didn't seem to be very broad based, judged by my unsophisticated eye.

The following posts show the photos I took; you all can speciate them for me.

John Case
Rookie Gardener
Veteran Drinker
'Circular logic works because circular logic works!'
bepah

Photos 2

Post by bepah »

More photos

John Case
Rookie Gardener
Veteran Drinker
bepah

and more

Post by bepah »

John Case
Rookie Gardener
Veteran Drinker
bepah

more again.........

Post by bepah »

John Case
Rookie Gardener
Veteran Drinker
bepah

finally.....

Post by bepah »

John Case
Rookie Gardener
Veteran Drinker
bepah

Fooled you....

Post by bepah »

John Case
Rookie Gardener
Veteran Drinker
bepah

Reminds you of Austin Powers coming out of hibernation.....

Post by bepah »

John Case
Rookie Gardener
Veteran Drinker
bepah

and a word from our artist

Post by bepah »

Our host at the zoo is very interested in achieving a Botanical Garden status not unlike the San Diego Zoo has recently completed.

The situation seems pretty grim, as there are no identification plaques on any of the plants, not just the bamboos. Everything needs to be GPS'ed, identified, the date added to collection, and a whole bunch of other data.

More importantly, the bamboos are not in the best of shape, there seems to be as much in cans as in the ground, and there is no pattern to the plantings with regard to the animals they are next to.

Once a month, they have volunteers working at the zoo (its all happening at the zoo, I do believe it, I do believe its true) on the 2nd Saturday of each month. He has no one working on the bamboos and is in need of expertise.

He will be calling me (God knows why) to try and arrange some bamboo cleanup and identification projects.

There is a lot of open space on the grounds, but there are plans for their use.

More to come.
John Case
Rookie Gardener
Veteran Drinker
foxd
Location info: 21

Post by foxd »

They should also do something about their Bamboo Mite infestation in one area.

I did wander about the zoo a bit and saw a number of different Chusqueas. It would have been nice to know what species they were.

I should have some pictures up shortly.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.