Bamboo Festival, Asheville, NC

Post and Discuss bamboo events.

Moderator: needmore

Matt W
Location info: 91

Bamboo Festival, Asheville, NC

Post by Matt W »

I just found the schedule of events and vendor list for the Asheville festival, July, 10 & 11. http://www.ncarboretum.org/assets/File/ ... endors.pdf
Anyone from here planning to go?
Matt
Matt W

Re: Bamboo Festival, Asheville, NC

Post by Matt W »

Well I attended for the last half day on Saturday. What a nice event and super people. Brought back a Phyllostachy aureosulcata 'Spectabilis and a nice Phyllostachys aurea 'Koi'. It was tempting to get more, there were some rare and nice plants in the auction that went for way less than what they should have brought. Hope to meet some of you there next year.
Matt
needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

If you remember give me a heads up next year in advance a few weeks, the Turtles usually attend and he might be willing to dig and bring you something if you are on a search for an unusual species or a large field division. I could try and arrange it for you, I think they usually take some auction plants with them so perhaps...
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Matt W

Post by Matt W »

Thanks Brad. The Turtles were there but they were so busy taking care of business I didn't get a chance to actually meet them. I did get to spend some time learning from Mike Hotchkiss of GA Bamboo, very knowledgeable and quick to share.

I need to get what I have potted, in the ground and see how they preform before I bring more in. After rereading what you have to say about Phyllostachys aurea I might should have passed on the Koi but there was a guy there who was having good luck with his in Asheville so I will give it a chance.

Matt
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

Matt,

If you have a protected place- a wind break of some sort- the Koi will likely do just fine. I have all the aureas, and all but one are in protected areas and doing well. I have a holochrysa in the open and it has wind burned every year, but as it matures the interior of the grove seems to suffer less each year, and it had a major size up this year. Drop by the next time you are in the area, and I'll show you how I have the aureas situated.

David
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
Matt W

Post by Matt W »

Thanks David, for the suggestions and the invite. I don't seem to get down that way very often, but if you are ever in the mountain corner a visit would be most welcomed.
Matt