Bamboo Celebration Day

Post and Discuss bamboo events.

Moderator: needmore

needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Bamboo Celebration Day

Post by needmore »

Saturday September 18th noon-4PM at the Needmore Bamboo Co in beautiful hilly southern Indiana.

Come and see 150+ species of bamboo including new imports. There will be an opportunity to dig your own divisions of 3 Phyllostachys species - nigra 'Henon', heteroclada 'Straightstem' and Rubromarginata.

People that sign up to become new Mid-State ABS Chapter members can take home a free potted bamboo of either Phy. mannii 'Decora', Phy aureosulcata, and first come on a few other species including Dwarf bissetii, Phy humilis. Deep discounts on other inventory will be offered during the event.

There are roughly 180 plantings of about 120 different species so plenty of bamboo to see, many groves are well developed and there are a few 2" by 30' canes.

Dan Fox will show us some of the bamboo craft projects he has been working on.

Tent space offered for long-distance visitors - nearby Nashville Indiana is a tourist mecca for arts & crafts plus SHOPPING so non-bamboo spouses can entertain themselves there while we obsess about bamboo!

RSVP requested so send me a PM here for reservations or info.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
bambootony

Re: Bamboo Celebration Day

Post by bambootony »

I will be there!!!!
PM sent!
From Bambootony
40 miles N.E of st louis
needmore

Post by needmore »

For those people contemplating coming to the event, we are located approximately 1.25 hours from Indianapolis, 2 hours from Cincinnati, 4.5 hours from St. Louis and Chicago, 1.5 hours from Louisville, 4 hours from Nashville TN.
Markj

Post by Markj »

A tad longer from here I'd guess :wink:
Bamboo...Please note... This plant is seriously addictive and you may lose interest in other, less rewarding plants!
Jerry Hamilton

Post by Jerry Hamilton »

just 614 miles from my house or a little over 9 hours :(
Redneck Bamboo Plantation
Sheridan, Arkansas
needmore

Post by needmore »

Markj wrote:A tad longer from here I'd guess :wink:
Yeah but if you make the trip I'll offer you more than tent space!
Markj

Post by Markj »

:D
Bamboo...Please note... This plant is seriously addictive and you may lose interest in other, less rewarding plants!
needmore

Post by needmore »

To those people planning on attending, you could think about pre-arranging trades if you want to haul plants that day, thus far I have RSVP's from 3 forum members plus one other person thus far. Post trade threads here if y'all wanna try any trades on the 18th.
foxd
Location info: 21

Post by foxd »

I also have some Passionflower vines (Maypop) if anyone wants to pick one up at the event.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
mantis
Location info: 22

Post by mantis »

Sounds like it will be a great event. A few years ago a semi-local grower had a 'bamboo farmer's market' where people came together at his nursery and visited, ate bbq, etc. It was a great time. I wish more growers, or even enthusiasts would just have gatherings/parties to bring people together. 8)

And before anyone jumps on me to have a party, about 2 weeks ago I had a bunch of people over. During the party a friend from China cooked freshly dug bamboo shoots, and made a bamboo stew for everyone to enjoy. I toured everyone around my yard, and then went to the farm to show them my future growing area :P

/hijack.

I hope everyone has a great time. The 1100 mile/18 hour drive each way counts me out.
Jerry Hamilton

Post by Jerry Hamilton »

I hope everyone has a great time. The 1100 mile/18 hour drive each way counts me out.
Hey Mantis if you do go stop in Little Rock and I will meet you and drive the other 9 hours there.
Jerry
Sheridan, Arkansas
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

Jerry -- if you're willing to drive the 9 hours, does that mean you're coming even if Mantis doesn't?
Jerry Hamilton

Post by Jerry Hamilton »

I wish :oops: :blackeye:
Sheridan, Arkansas
foxd
Location info: 21

Post by foxd »

I am going to have to divide my Bambusa ventricosa and am wondering if anybody would like a "division". It can be added to my list of things to bring.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

This day was a lot of fun! It's always great seeing Brad's (needmore's) place, but seeing the drought effects as well as what some groves did after a relatively mild winter was interesting. Getting to meet Dan (foxd), Jim from Michigan Bamboo, and some other bamboo enthusiasts was great too!

I mainly took photos of the plants and gardens, but I may have a couple of photos of some of the activities too. I'll post them later today or tonight.

Fun time, and hope it becomes an annual event that people can plan for. (Although figuring out where to put more cars might be interesting) :D