BAMBOOWEB.INFO
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:28 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:00 pm 

Phyllostachys Nigra ‘Punctata ‘ seems to be the fastest Nigra to blacken it’s culms out of all the Nigra’s , the culms in the picture are this years. What’s other peoples findings ??

Attachments:
47B612EE-F6AD-4E08-A048-43AE746E5CA3.jpeg
47B612EE-F6AD-4E08-A048-43AE746E5CA3.jpeg [ 565.9 KiB | Viewed 493 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:25 pm 

I acquired the plant below last year. As it appeared particularly refined in comparison to my other Ph. nigra I wondered if it could be 'Punctata,' but the current seasons culms show no hint of change. Unless it is the image, your plant appears to have that silvering which can occur, apparently, in strong sunlight.
Attachment:
IMG_9886.jpg
IMG_9886.jpg [ 447.42 KiB | Viewed 460 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:31 pm 

iain wrote:
I acquired the plant below last year. As it appeared particularly refined in comparison to my other Ph. nigra I wondered if it could be 'Punctata,' but the current seasons culms show no hint of change. Unless it is the image, your plant appears to have that silvering which can occur, apparently, in strong sunlight.
Attachment:
IMG_9886.jpg
yours does look like punctata, I have found that punctata gets thicker culms quicker than standard Nigra, I also think sun on the culms make them blacken faster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:53 pm 

Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America
I think there are many forms of bamboo out there that are called Phy nigra 'x' with varying degrees of mottling to black. I wonder how many of us with 'plain' Phy nigra even have the same sport and then environmental factors enter in. The one I have here turns solid black within the first year, right now this springs culms are just starting to turn black at the base. So between now and next spring I expect them to turn fully black. Is it the culm age, cooler days, shorter days, sun angle or just genetic time?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:21 pm 

In my experience they turn beautifully black just before a harsh winter kills them. :lol:

(In case it's not clear, Ph. nigra was not reliably hardy for me, with topkills every couple of years. I no longer grow this species.)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:53 pm 

They dress before their own funeral. How appropriate. Here, Ph. nigra acts like a clumper, pretty much.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:30 pm 

I noticed at my rather northern location they will not really get black unless in direct sun. I had some from two sources and they seemed to be different in size, but had no varietal names. Thriving was grove knocked back to a few stragglers in the woods due to freeze events a few years back.

With the exception of a several lucky years when they were doing great, it seems here if they are exposed enough to get black, they are also not sheltered enough to make it though the winter without topkill.