Clumping Bamboos in Indiana

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Clumping Bamboos in Indiana

Post by foxd »

First off, does anybody else have a Fargesia nitida that is thriving in Indiana or an Indiana like climate? Anybody?

I'm wondering what clumpers would do well in Indiana. So far the list seems to be: Fargesia 'Rufa', the one Fargesia nitida I have and possibly a Buddha Belly that I traded for from a mysterious oriental street vendor who assured me it was surviving winters in Northern Indiana.

I tested Chusquea culeou and they don't seem to survive our summers, I'd like to get other peoples opinions on what they think would survive.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
ocimum_nate
Location info: 0
Location: American Fork, Utah High Desert, elevation 4566 feet, zone 5 or 6 depending on which source.

RE: Clumping Bamboos in Indiana

Post by ocimum_nate »

I hope my nitida seedlings will survive in my area too. I don't have the heart to plant them out this winter. I am keeping them in my basement bathroom window I think that it is cool enough and humid enough to over winter them in this location.
Rufa has done well for me in Utah but I haven't tried many others. Next year
I plan to plant out my robusta and nitida seedlings and I will report on how well those do next year.
foxd

Post by foxd »

ocimum_nate: I have the same feeling about the MOSO I've been growing in the basement, after nurturing them for two year I hate the idea of planting them outside and having them die.

One of the things I haven't seen a lot of is discussion about dividing Fargesia plants. What is the best time of year to divide them? How are various people going about it? What should we be careful of? Success stories? Failures? Techniques?
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
ocimum_nate
Location: American Fork, Utah High Desert, elevation 4566 feet, zone 5 or 6 depending on which source.

Post by ocimum_nate »

I bought an extra gallon size Fargesia rufa when they were on close out and divided it into 4 plants I don't know when the best time to divide them is so I decided to keep them in the bathroom window sill with my nitida seedlings. So far 3 still look good the forth one was looking bad and I almost threw it out but I noticed some new growth coming out.
As far as dividing it I just washed away all of the potting soil and looked for good places to cut. 3 or more shoots and enogh roots to support the tops. Two of them were pretty good sized divisions that I will probably divide come spring or early summer again.
foxd

Post by foxd »

ocimum_nate: I'm looking at trying to take divisions off a plant that has been in the ground for a few years. One technique I've read about involves driving a pipe into the root mass, dropping a lit stick of dynamite down the pipe, gathering up and potting the pieces. I can see problems with doing this on SO many levels. :lol:
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

foxd

Post by foxd »

After much searching of the web (again) I found this set of instructions that seem to have been copied from website to website:
Division as the plants come into growth in spring. Take divisions with at least three canes in the clump, trying to cause as little root disturbance to the main plant as possible. Grow them on in light shade in a greenhouse in pots of a high fertility sandy medium. Mist the foliage regularly until plants are established. Plant them out into their permanent positions when a good root system has developed, which can take a year or more.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

foxd

Post by foxd »

I have a lead on someone in Bloomington who bought and planted a couple of Fargesia last year. I'm in the process of arranging to go see them to see how they did.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

Quite the detective you are. I have a feeling that somone in my county probably grows bamboo as an ornamental plant. But who? Imagine all the landscaping people do in their yards in the towns. If I happened upon bamboo by accident, they surely would, too. So how do I find this bamboo in my county that may or may not exist. I might go into the Walmart parking lot screaming, "Do YOU GROW BAMBOO"
Reaction from a guy walking by, "Boo you!"
foxd

Post by foxd »

Just a matter of following up leads from other people, or going down the street and spotting bamboo growing in someones yard. In this case a friend who does gardening for a number of people has a client who planted several bamboos, mainly P. vivax and Fargesia.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

ocimum_nate

Post by ocimum_nate »

Every "lead" I have followed up on is Arundo donax. I couldn't believe it when I found someone on my own less than 5 blocks from my house with some this year.
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

As of '06, I like arundo donax more than any of my bamboo plants. But times could change.
BooKing

Post by BooKing »

:shock: :shock:
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

8) You seem shocked booking. What is that in which has troubled you.
BooKing

Post by BooKing »

Arundo doodoo over bamboo? Bamboo is supreme in the plant world. :lol:
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

When I get shoots this size from my bamboo, my reedlust will be over. Giant Reed is for instant gratification, while I wait for my bamboo.
And by the way, The reed I'm holding in the pic is from a deer snipping it off. Yep, Yep, the deer were destroying my giant reed this year. I'm moving it up to the house next year, too.