Flowering of Smaller Bamboos

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

ocimum_nate
Location info: 0
Location: American Fork, Utah High Desert, elevation 4566 feet, zone 5 or 6 depending on which source.

Flowering of Smaller Bamboos

Post by ocimum_nate »

I was reading the other day somewhere that some of the smaller running bamboos ie. Sasaella, Sasa, Pleioblastus. flower more frequently and do not die has anyone in the forum had these flower? Was any viable seed produced. Just wondering if anyone has some stories or information to share on this subject.
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

A few sentences from The Botanical Garden volume 1 tree and shrubs

Sasa palmata flowered in the 1960's, over 90 years after its introduction to the west, but most colonies have survived.

Pseudosasa japonica flowers sporadically, and clumps wich flower are nearly killed, but usually manage to survive in a weakened state.

Sasaella ramosa first flowered in the west in 1981. For whatever that is worth :wink:

I was wondering many things about flowering and seeds also, but it seems that much knowledge is lacking because of the flowering schedules kept by bamboo.

8)
green99
Location: North of San Francisco 300 miles near the coast. Zone 8-9

P.fortunei flowered

Post by green99 »

Two years ago i collected seeds of P.fortunei in Eureka CA.
It was a really large area in front of some small apartments near my house. I collected some seed that was green, and some that had matured to a nice brown. The green didn't sprout, but all the brown ones did. They all came out with no varigation, and last time I looked the original plant was mostly dead, with the rest blooming. I'll go check to see if any is alive next time I'm in Eureka.
ocimum_nate
Location: American Fork, Utah High Desert, elevation 4566 feet, zone 5 or 6 depending on which source.

Post by ocimum_nate »

Green

Thanks for the follow up on my question. If you find any seed again send a few my way. I enjoy raising plants from seed.