Black Leaf

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Bamboomoon
Location info: 0

Black Leaf

Post by Bamboomoon »

I dug up a P. Negra and potted it 3 weeks ago, and noticed yesterday that many of the undersides of the leaves were black. I'm guessing this happened because the manure I planted it in was too rich, and it may also be that we have not had enough sun. Are these good guesses, or are there other reasons for what appears to me to be black leaf mold?
BambooMoon
zone 8b
Snohomish, Wa
kudzu9
Location: Greater Seattle, WA, area; Zone 8. Summers:mainly 60's-70's. Winters are rainy, but above freezing except for a few 15 deg F days; 1-2 days of snow max.

RE: Black Leaf

Post by kudzu9 »

Does it come off with water, or is this integral with the leaves?
Bamboomoon

Post by Bamboomoon »

Kudzu: I will go out and look. My kneejerk reaction was to lop off the top of the plant (which was 7 fedt tall) where most of the black leaf was. Hang on ...
BambooMoon
zone 8b
Snohomish, Wa
kudzu9
Location: Greater Seattle, WA, area; Zone 8. Summers:mainly 60's-70's. Winters are rainy, but above freezing except for a few 15 deg F days; 1-2 days of snow max.

Post by kudzu9 »

Good...let's talk more before major surgery...
Bamboomoon

Post by Bamboomoon »

Kudzu: No new surgery and no, the black "mold" or whatever it is, doesn't wash off. I'm still of the opinion that it has something to do with the manure I planted in. Used the same mix for another pot, and while that plant is better off than the one I butchered, it also has a few of the black leaf mold showing, on the bottoms of the leaves, even showing through to the top on some leaves. I saw this same condition on an "Allgold" Bambusoids at a lady's house last summer. She has worked in bamboo nurseries for 14 years, and she mentioned that Bambusoids were particularly prone to blackleaf if they weren't in a sunny location, or were in a location that was too shady. This particular manure came from a friend who has a composting bin that is located in the shade. When I got it, I noticed that the wood content of the manure was very high. This bothered me somewhat, but the manure was a "gift horse", so I was glad to get it. From another grower I have heard that there is a connection between how green your plants are, and the woody content of the soil. This person said too much wood in the mulch leads to a pale green bamboo plant. When these little pearls of wisdom are dropped, I usually scoop them up, but who knows how true they may or may not be?
BambooMoon
zone 8b
Snohomish, Wa