Over-wintering bamboo/ other plants

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Over-wintering bamboo/ other plants

Post by needmore »

Alan_L wrote:Steve: How tall is your makinoi? Looks great! I'm also surprised that you haven't given up on the bicolor yet, as it's not doing much compared to the others.

Alan, you could coax Makinoi well over 20'. Mine was fairly well behaved and quite vertical. Sounds like a raised bed waiting to happen?
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

My tallest Makinoi culm from this spring is only about 10ft when straightened out, but last year's culms got up to around 11ft so it has better potential than that. It doesn't look that tall since it produces long leaves, and fans out like and umbrella. I do believe that since it is being protected this winter, it is likely that it will produce some culms in the 13-14ft range. Still nowhere close to the parvifolia which is the only one that has ever produced culms north of 20ft for me.

I just checked out the weather forecast for my bamboo garden, and it does show teens in the forecast for next week, but that is not enough to cause any issues with the species I have, especially the super hardy ones, or the tarped ones. It is still too early to tell how this winter will actually turn out.
needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

I had near 20' in Indiana and Alan's place is generally a tad milder. The lumber from it is impressive and really nice blue culms in spring. I would almost suggest that it is perhaps the most over looked Phy species?
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

needmore wrote:Alan, you could coax Makinoi well over 20'. Mine was fairly well behaved and quite vertical. Sounds like a raised bed waiting to happen?
I do have one in a small raised bed (3'x3' approx) that finally did something this past spring, and I'm considering getting it into the ground, possibly where my flowering propinqua 'Beijing' is, unless that bounces back.

Last year's culms are drooping like crazy, but the new culms are all vertical and fantastically blue.