The other of the couple

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Steve in France
Location info: 0

The other of the couple

Post by Steve in France »

I did some work in the garden in France , four years worth of growth to cut out, three 10 hour days.
It looks a little better than when I arrived . Bamboos are growing a bit slowly as I'm not around to water and fert. Still, natural progress has been made.
Attachments
myG3.jpg
myG2.jpg
myG1.jpg
Always experimenting to get Timber Bamboos Timber size :-)
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: The other of the couple

Post by needmore »

I'm guessing Vivax HI to the left and S3 in the first pic? What Fargesia is that in the others? Looks good but you should probably let me move in and take care of things there, I'll keep them well fed.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

Very nice. Love the open look of the timber bamboo. S3?
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
Steve in France

Post by Steve in France »

Hi guys . Shanghai 3 in the middle first pic Spectabilis left, down the back a weird form of vivax aureocaulis that never gets bigger than 2 inch culms,( source Andrew in Holland) plus Megura whats'it and aureosulcata aureocaulis. Middle pic at the back vivax H inversa to the left in front of humilis next to fastuosa next to parvifolia.
The clumper is a Borinda or cangshan or somthing , it was a Markj recommendation from Jos. The top bare culms are not winter damaged so much as not leafed out from last season, maybe that will help with ID. What amazed me is how few blades my phy Bamboos have , no water no fert and they adapt and still size up.
Also I'm well impressed with the growth on that clumper, four years old , no attention and it's huge. I'm thinking maybe some of the Mountain Bamboos like dryer conditons with less rich soil , anyone for a comment ?
p.s. could be Fargesia Spez. 'Cangshan 3'
Attachments
fr3.jpg
fr2.jpg
fr1.jpg
Always experimenting to get Timber Bamboos Timber size :-)
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

The clumper on mid picture does look like my Borinda (seed bought as Fargesia fungosa). It shows same kind of damage, late shoots that failed to leaf put and harden enough get damaged during the winter while most of leafed culms and branches survive (with a lot of leaf loss during the winter). It does look a bit too erect tho, if that's winter/spring photo, with a lot less leaves, it would work, otherwise, a lot more weeping. If pruned back, it can also grow that way.

Very nice bamboos :)