Hydroponic bamboo?

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Alan_L
Location info: 81

Hydroponic bamboo?

Post by Alan_L »

This little article is more of an architectural review of a building, but they mention that the inclusion of "hydroponic bamboo trees" would be notable and help salvage the design.

Unless the containers were very deep and specially designed to support the culms, I don't know how this could work. There's a rendering of the building in the article.

http://therealdeal.com/blog/2012/01/26/ ... iginality/

Is it even possible to grow bamboo hydroponically? What happens in the winter? (It's in NYC I believe.)
moriphen
Location info: 0
Location: Southern New Jersey 7b about 5 mins from Philadelphia, PA

Re: Hydroponic bamboo?

Post by moriphen »

I just can't see hydroponics working for bamboo, the culms alone would be lacking the support structure that hard soil provides not to mention most bamboo do not like being waterlogged.

M
M
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

Hydroponically raising bamboo is something I've been meaning to try and have been considering how you would go about doing it. My thought was to have a section of rhizome suspended in a nutrient solution over an aquarium air stone hooked to an air pump. This would make sure the solution around the rhizome was oxygenated. Any culms that formed would have to be braced, but a large holed net above the setup could automatically do that.

I do remember someone's experiment of leaving a pot of Bambusa ventricosa submerged in a pond for many months. The plant did not suffer from the treatment.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
marcat
Location info: 28

Post by marcat »

That was Steve the boo outlaw with the ventricosa it is an exception. If the hydrophonic soulution is well airiated plants that do not like wet roots shouldn't have a problem from what I understand. Suporting the culms would be tricky maybe that mesh/webbing thing would work or the right textured foam material that they would punch right through but still get support from it.
MarCat
One-EyedWilly

Post by One-EyedWilly »

I was thinking maybe one quarter inch rods made of metal, alternating directions, every inch in height or so in the root container. The container itself made of metal.
Then the container which holds the roots will work on a NFT system since they do like to be flooded occasionally. You could have it on a timer to flood the container a couple times a day.
But yeah . . . . it would have to be some solid materials, maybe bolted to the house frame or something.
Ophiuchus
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by Ophiuchus »

Anyone tried to get them to root in a hydroponic system? Was thinking if you put water on a timer, it would keep from water logging the cutting. I want to transplant at first sign of root development.

Any success or failure stories would be greatly appreciated.
LA Bamboo

Post by LA Bamboo »

I cut a few tiny oldhamii culms (smaller than 1/8'" diameter) into single node cuttings and ran them through my aeroponic clone bucket that I use on tomatoes. The little culm sections were in the bucket, with the small branches and a few select leaves fed through the "puck" and under a 10w led. Only 1 out of 12 rooted, but is doing great. It was potted after 2+ weeks, then put in the ground after about a month.

I bet it would have thrived if kept on aeroponics, but the root system would have gotten out of control very fast and it's too much trouble to keep water temp/nutes good unless just popping out tomato clones. I usually have a 100% success rate cloning tomatoes, and I would guess with some tweaking certain types of small bamboo could be cloned very effectively using aeroponics.
obob

Post by obob »

thats great. I'm just trying aeroponically clone some oldhamiis. It has been 3 days since I started. No sign of roots yet.
Have you done anymore cloning with aeroponics? any insights what works well?
rookierappaz

Post by rookierappaz »

hydroponic bamboo, now Ive heard of everything. I think supporting the shoots when they're older might be your biggest concern.